Chapter-53

The atmosphere in Tokyo was incredible, and it felt even better now that I had my family by my side. It would have felt even nicer to have Baba and Kenji here, at least I knew they'd be watching my movie soon, as soon as they could.

Sofu wore a big smile on his face as we entered the theatre, this felt more nerve wracking than the time I had to literally present this project to critics. I really wanted these critics to like it, because I lived with them, I loved them and I wanted them to be proud of what I was doing.

Just like the last time, I went back to the front of the movie theatre to make a short speech before we aired the movie, I spotted a few familiar faces in the crowd; My professor and her husband with the biggest smiles on their face, followed by some classmates who looked amused.

I guess I had grown, really changed as a person in the course of events that took place after university. I knew for one I wasn't as awkward as I once was, I was much more bold than I could remember last summer.

I thanked my professor, her husband, my family, my agency, especially Katsumi and my editor, Vanessa, my actors and the rest of the team for this very special moment. I slipped in a little thank you to Charles without saying his name, and also to Matteo for being there for me, even when I had given him nothing but a hard time. I took my seat and waited for the movie to start, this time I actually paid attention to the screen.

My mind was blown, I couldn't believe this was the stuff I had shot with the help of the great team. The editors at the production house had worked like magicians on everything, they gave the scenes the right amount of depth and airiness when they needed it. Even the actors, Mika and Laurent had done a phenomenal job at expressing emotions, translating inner contemplation into something that the audience could see.

I anxiously waited for reactions, my mother was reduced to tears. That was enough to know she had been touched, Sofu was quick to give me a round of applause and tell me that movies like this were the reason theatres still had business. My dad hadn't spoken a word yet, he was like this. He usually took a moment to gather his thoughts before telling what he thought.

We made our way to my professor and her producer husband, the Fujiwaras. I wanted to have dinner with them, as a thank you and also to have a relaxed environment to discuss what they thought about it. Seeing the smile on my professor's face was an additional assurance to the fact I had done a good job.

"Next time you're working on a project, please tell Miss Katsumi to approach me first! I want to be part of such wonderful stories too." Mister Fujiwara smiled.

"Thank you sir, you're too kind." I laughed.

The restaurant was expecting us, the host walked us to our private dining room, it had taken me lots of calls to secure one at this restaurant. Turns out everyone wanted to celebrate here, didn't help it was in the bustling business district of Tokyo. I thanked him and had everyone seated, we chose our courses and finally settled in.

"You must be so proud of your daughter." My professor smiled at my parents.

"Words can't describe how in awe I am of what she had done. This could not have been possible without your guidance and mentoring." My mother returned the compliment.

"What was your favourite part of the movie?" Sofu asked everyone.

"When they meet at the antique store after years. It was the right amount of hilarious and adorable." My mother said.

"I'd have to say the train station. Not the first time, the last. All these years, the train station was one place with this hope lingering in the air that he'd be there waiting to tell her the truth, but the last time is a wake up call to both of them. Life isn't the fairy tale we make of it to be." My professor chimed in.

"I'd have to agree with that, the sadness that hung in the air was...painful! I felt like the love of MY life walked out on me." Mister Fujiwara agreed with his wife.

"I liked every bit of the movie. It was so nicely made I don't think I can pick one favourite bit." My dad finally shared his thoughts on the movie.

I think he saw the smile in my eyes, because his beam grew even bigger. He was sitting taller now, I'm hoping it's because of the pride that was flowing through him right now. The greatest reward of this whole thing, had been seeing my family be proud of me, people celebrating my story. But the most painful part of it was that the person who made this story possible couldn't even see what beautiful memories he'd given me. I felt no hate or resentment towards him anymore, I had to learn to live without him, no matter how difficult it got.

After a good dinner filled with discussions and laughter, we parted ways. I thanked the Fujiwaras for taking the time out in their busy schedule, they wished me good luck for my future endeavours and hoped that this movie is well received. I decided to just head to my parents' house, I knew I was going to be too tired to be a functioning person after the train ride back to Osaka. I could be a big baby tomorrow morning and not worry if I was with them.

I woke with this strange feeling of emptiness I'd spent pretty much the whole of last year dwelling, writing and rewriting this movie, figuring out the final season of my show. Now I had nothing to do. No worries either, no constant worries of my next paycheque. My bank account was looking pretty good, I won't lie.

"Good morning Ms. Director!" Sofu greeted me.

"Good morning!" I beamed.

"Did you sleep well?"

"Yeah I slept like a baby." I said, "Also. I have an announcement to make."

"Your dad already left for work, so you can announce to me and your mother."

"Mom!" I yelled.

"What!?" I heard a holler.

"She's in the backyard, one of her plants is dying and she can't let it be." He explained.

"Oh okay. Let's go to her then." I said.

"Mom, Sofu. I have an announcement to make."

"Tell us!"

"I'll be taking the rest of the year off. I'm on break. No more chasing deadlines, no more losing sleep over a plot line or crying over a plot hole." I said, "I feel like if I continue the way I have been, I will burnout in no time. I don't want to run fast. I want to run for long."

"How long do you plan to do nothing?"

"As long as I can afford to. When inspiration strikes I will write. I won't take up projects until I feel like it's something I don't want to miss out working on."

"Then what are you going to do?"

"Go back to Monaco. Spend time with Baba, see Kenji's new place and meet my friends."

"Okay." She said, turning back to tend her plant.

In all honesty, I was expecting a lecture about how hard work always pays off, just because you're reaping benefits of it doesn't mean you should stop. That I should be working twice as hard now. But it seemed like neither of them were about to do that.

"Aren't you going to tell me to continue to work or something?"

"You've figured it all out, so why should I interfere! Book your tickets soon okay? It gets expensive if you get them last minute." She said.