Chapter 44

His weekend at Monaco was historical after all, a first! He may not have won, but he managed to finish a race and it was in the top 5! It came no surprise the entire garage was cheering, this was felt like a win, it was bigger than a win. It was like a good boost to him, letting him know that he was going to leaf strong.

I waited for him in the garage, hoping to catch him before he went off to media commitments. He walked in with such a big smile on his face, his eyes looked calm, content. "You were so good! Congratulations!" I hugged him.

"Thank you Ma Chérie." He smiled giving me a quick peck on the forehead, "Interviews should be a breeze today, wait for me okay?" He said letting go of my hand, Mia was waiting to take him to the media pen.

I took a seat in the hospitality suite, I looked around for Isa, who I spotted by a table, typing away on her laptop. I waved at her hoping to get her attention but she was really deep in thought, so fighting my very characteristics I walked up to her.

"Hi." I awkwardly smiled.

"Emi! How are you doing?" She beamed, "Come sit!"

"Thanks! I'm doing good! How have you been?" I asked easing into the chair.

"For the most part fine but currently trying to deal with a supplier who won't explain why our consignment is delayed." She shrugged.

"Oh! I hope that gets sorted soon... are you coming to whatever formal event the guys are having tonight?"

"An occasion to put on an evening gown and eat good food in great company? Um yes of course!" She laughed.

"Okay phew! I have someone to be with then." I said.

"Yes of course! They're going to be stuck socialising with sponsors, we can stand aside and chat over a flute of champagne or two." She winked.

"It's like you can read my mind!" I chuckled.

We chatted for some more time as Isa tried to get in touch with the supplier's team, she asked me about how the movie was coming along, I told her what we were up to. I told her about how this was even going to be my directing debut, so double the chance to mess things up. She looked funny at me and told me she was sure I was going to do my story justice.

"Ready to go?" An arm wrapped around my waist.

"Yeah." I smiled, turning to him.

The drive back was fun to say the least, people were ecstatic. I couldn't help but smile at him, in a way, he too had finally reclaimed Monaco, like I had last summer. That felt like ages ago.

"What are you smiling about?" He asked.

"Nothing." I shook my head.

"If you're holding back on saying something corny just say it already." He smirked.

"Nothing, you've finally made Monaco, yours again."

"Yes I have." He smiled, holding my hand to give me a kiss on the knuckles. "Now, we have exactly 20 minutes to freshen up, get dressed and get to the event."

"Well that's more than enough time for me, will it be for you? My beauty queen." I teased him.

"If you don't occupy the mirror for too long, then yes." He rolled his eyes.

I wasn't expecting it, but pretty much all the neighbours had gathered around to catch a glimpse of him and congratulate him. He was very much the local hero, and he was loving it. He looked at his watch and realised we were getting late, he apologised for having leave so abruptly and we continued to his apartment.