Chapter-32

I woke up fairly early, looked at the view for a while and then decided to shower and get ready for the day. I checked my phone, mom had sent a bunch of texts asking how the travel had been, how I was feeling and How Charles was doing. I told her I'd call her in a bit if she was free, I got a quick response saying she was in fact up to nothing and waiting for my call.

A hot shower later, I found myself staring at the pile of clothes I had made a mess of trying to find a good outfit. Normally, I didn't care much, but going to the paddock for the first time with him felt like meeting a producer for the first time- my first impression was probably going to matter a lot. I wanted to ask someone if I should dress more formally or casually? Was there a dress code? For the moment I put on joggers and a T-shirt. I called up my mom, she picked up in half a ring.

"How are you feeling?" She asked.

"Honestly not too bad. I thought the lag would be bad but it's not."

"That's good, how is he doing?"

"He's good! He's excited because it's the first race of the season, he tried to explain a little bit more about what happens today but I didn't really understand."

"Put in some more effort Emi, I'm sure you'll understand!"

"Gee. Thank you mum. What are you up to?"

"Sitting at home, I was earlier in the garden with Sofu. I don't like this whole retirement thing." She sighed.

"You've never learnt how to relax, I don't ever remember you taking a day off. So take this time now to look after yourself!" I told her.

"I am! But it is so boring."

"You have time, you have the money. Why not pick up old hobbies again? Go on a day trip with dad?" I suggested.

"That's what old people do." She scoffed.

"Sorry to break it to you. But you're not in the prime of your youth either." I laughed.

"For your information, I took early retirement."

"It's something you planned on right? You could have changed it if you wanted. Why did you go forward with it then?"

"With the hopes that I'll go travel the world and make time for all the things I want to do." She laughed.

"Then what's stopping you? You don't have responsibilities anymore, your work is over, Kenji and I are capable of looking after ourselves, Baba too is looking after herself."

"You do have a point...Travelling the world is too ambitious, maybe I should go visit Baba first." She said thoughtfully.

"You do that! I have to go for now, I'm getting a call from Charles. Bye bye!" I ended the call.

I walked to the opposite room, to find the door wide open, the mess he had made of his room out on display. I knocked on the door to let him know I was here and judging him- he pulled me in and shut the door.

"Good morning!" He beamed.

"Morning! Did you sleep well?"

"Yeah I did, ready to head out for breakfast?"

"While your room is still a mess?"

"I'll clean it before we head to the track." He huffed.

"Alright, but please remember to shut the door at least, can't let them know a disciplined athlete is so shabby." I teased him.

"I have photographic evidence of the floor of your room when you're writing." He gave me a quick peck on the cheek.

"Wait what!?" I turned to him but he had already started walking towards the lift. I ran to catch up with him. "You did what?" I asked him entering the lift.