Chapter 9

I found it difficult to find some rest that night. I could not sleep due to the fact that in just a few months Kasper was going to become an official Death Eater. I desired so badly to help him but I had no idea as to what I could possibly do. I felt completely useless. And on top of it all, Kasper had nowhere to go or hide. If he were to make an attempt to run away, they would eventually find him. In the end, he had no choice. I hated it. I hated everything.

What was going to happen to Kasper? Was he going to experience the pain we watched our parents experience? What exactly would You-Know-Who use Kasper for? My mind flooded with tons of questions yet zero answers to any of them. One question in particular stood out from the others.

Would he go insane?

I could not bare even the slightest thought of it. I did not want to wonder any longer. I forced myself to clear my mind in order to get some sleep; however, my attempt failed miserably.

I tossed and turned but I found no rest nor comfort. I decided I would go rest in the common room for a few minutes. I slipped on my coat and carefully crept out of my dorm, still in my pajamas. Once I entered the quiet area, I felt as if I was replying earlier today. I questioned whether I was experiencing deja vu or just imagining things. I saw Draco sitting in the same spot he was earlier that morning except this time he was reading a book.

"Do you just live in the common room?" I called out from the stairs.

Draco snapped his head up to meet my gaze but then lowered his eyes back down to his book.

Just awhile ago, he was staring me down but now he has decided to completely ignore me.

"I see how it is," I said.

Draco still did not answer. It was as if he was trying his best to ignore my presence.

I crashed in an arm chair near the couch where Draco sat. I watched as he flipped to the next page in his book, his hands delicately moving the page. His eyes moved back-and-forth rapidly and his face made subtle expressions as he read word after word.

"What are you reading?" I asked as I leaned over to get a closer look.

"A book," Draco grudgingly replied.

"I don't need you sarcastic remarks. At least tell me the title."

"It's called When Our Worlds Collide."

He turned the book over to show me the front cover.

"Sounds interesting," I replied.

I continued to watch Draco read his book. Finally he placed a bookmark between the pages and closed it shut.

"I'm done reading," he said.

"Why?"

I can't read while someone is staring at me."

"I'm not starting," I stated, turning my head away.

"Sure. It's cause you can't keep your eyes off me."

I scoffed.

"Don't flatter yourself, Malfoy."

He smirked.

"Calling me by my last name now, are we?"

"I'll call you what I want."

"Ok then, Rosewood."

Of course he was going to act like his usual cocky self. What did I expect? Did I expect a lovely conversation or a genuine apology for the way he treated me this morning? I could keep dreaming.

I began to question why I was even there in the first place. I stood up.

"Where are you going?" he asked.

"Back to my dorm since you obviously don't want me here."

"I never said that."

"Well clearly you don't."

Draco did not answer at this. He stayed silent and that was all the answer I needed.

I started walking away.

"Holly."

I did not stop. I kept on.

"Holly."

I sensed Draco walking towards me and suddenly I felt his hand grasp onto my arm.

I threw in a sharp breath. It was an odd feeling once his hand came in contact with my skin. His touched almost burned.

I looked up into his icy blue eyes which were latched on to mine. He appeared rather mesmerized while I stood befuddled.

"What is it?" I asked when he didn't speak.

Draco snatched his hand away, as if just then realizing what he was doing.

"Nothing," said Draco, "But you can stay if you like."

I nodded my head.

"I forgive you," I said.

"I never said I was sorry."

As I stood, I realized how close we were to each other. Maybe a little too close.

I thought maybe I should stay but I was actually starting to feel sleepy. I just wanted to go to sleep after tonight's terrible news. I did not want to stay any longer.

"Look, Draco. I've enjoyed talking to you but I've had a rough night and-."

"What happened?"

"Excuse me?"

"What happened to make tonight a rough night?"

My thoughts swirled and I felt an unsettling feeling in the pit of my stomach.

Thoughts of Kasper came to my mind.

Would if he dies?

No I pleaded with myself. No.

"Nothing," I stated," I just need some sleep."

I accidentally let a single tear slip down my cheek in front of Draco. I normally never cry front of people. It was a complete accident.

I figured knowing Draco that he would not react in any sort of way, but immediately I saw something spark inside of him. It was as if I had triggered something that made his expression completely switch.

Suddenly, his hand flew up and cupped my cheek. I looked up at Draco, my heart racing and wondering what the crap he was doing. His hand held my face as his thumb moved up and down across my cheek. I remain dazed. My focus was on Draco and the feel of his hand making contact with my skin. It was as if time had just stopped and Draco was the only thing that existed.

Something. Draco was thinking of something.

Finally, I watched as his face changed back into its usual cold expression and felt his hand being lifted from my face. His eyes casted a downwards glance and he walked away. No word. No explanation.

Not even a goodbye.

Now my mind remained puzzled as to what just happened. I tried to shake it off and forget about it.

He treats you... differently.

Did Harry really mean that?

Perhaps I'll never be able to understand the mind of Draco Malfoy.