Chapter 22

I slowly opened my door. It was only Narcissa.

"Hello darling. Dinner will be ready shortly, so it would be best if you came down in a few minutes."

"I will be down there in just a second," I replied with a content spirit.

I go into my room and rummage through my vanity for a hairbrush. I then brushed out my hair very quickly and took my time going downstairs and into the dining room. However, when I arrived, no one was there. The table wasn't even set up. 

"We're eating outside, " said Kasper as he passed by me with a tray of fruit in his hands.

"Oh, hey Kas!" I replied as I began to follow him outside, "Did you ever get to talk to Lucius about getting a job?"

Kasper slowed his pace as he began to speak.

"Well, I did actually. Though, he did not take me seriously at first, but I'm supposed to find out today if I can possibly work for him."

"Well, that's wonderful! You'll be rich before you know it," I winked.

"Maybe, but that's not really the reason I'm working for work."

"Oh? Then why?"

I have actually been wanting to know why Kasper has been so persistent to receive a position at the Ministry, but I refrained from asking for some odd reason.

Kasper took in a small breath before deciding on his next answer. Perhaps the reason was much deeper than simply earning galleons.

"I want to save up money for the future, so that we may not have to live here forever."

He slowly completely stopped walking. "I think since both of our houses have been put up for sale and we certainly don't want to go back, that saving up money for a place to live in the near future would perhaps be a good idea. I'll be done with school in two years which means I haven't got much time. Tell me honestly, does that sound silly or like a waste of time?"

I thought I remembered Kasper mentioning something similar to this back in the Hospital Wing back in May. I paused for a minute as my imagination played into the opportunities this would mean we could have. Once Kasper graduates and gets a place to stay, I could have a home to come to over the summer.

Home.

That's why he wanted to earn money so badly. He is thinking ahead for the future. He's planning to have a home.

For us.

"That doesn't sound silly. That sounds amazing actually."

"Just think Holly." I assumed he has been waiting to say this for a while. "If I can work every summer for now on, I can save up enough money to at least get started. We can go wherever we like. I can support us both and I can watch you graduate. Of course, we don't have to live together forever. Just until you are ready to go out on your own."

All that Kasper was saying and dreaming of sounded so amazing. Just thinking about it made me excited.

"I'm proud of you, Kas."

"That's all I ever wanted to hear you say."

He smiled, and his words and smile made my heart warm on the inside. Kasper's envision of the future was a full and bright as any future I could ever imagine.

We continued our way towards the backyard where a few house elves were seen setting up the large picnic table.

Kasper's POV:

Several months ago, after I passed out in the library, I knew I had to make a final decision. I made up my mind in that hospital bed back at Hogwarts that this certainly could not be my fate. I would not let it be so. I never wanted death decided by the Dark Lord.