Chapter 28

I was now officially at Hogwarts, sauntering to the Great Hall alone since Ginny, Ron, and Hermione had  to depart with the Gryffindors. I simply had no choice but to journey on my own through the illuminated and bustling corridors, a thing I have accomplished on more than one occasion. As I did so, I noticed Pansy amongst a group of Slytherins, one of those Slytherins being the dreaded Malfoy. I did not think too much of it at first, and brightened up as I begin making my way towards her. Then, my pace slowed and my mood darkened as I watched what took place before my eyes. Pansy was giggling at everything Malfoy was saying, which seems innocent when I say it, but it was more so in a flirtatious manner. She even portrayed to be all over him and in awe at everything he said or did. I still decided to approach her anyways, but I held a bewildered complexion casted upon my features.

My presence proposed to have disrupted the conversation which was taking place amongst the Slytherins since they all stopped chattering as I approached. 

"Hey Rosewood," Pansy stated in the least friendly manner one could possibly achieve. Her countenance showed she was irritated rather than pleased to see me.

I stood taken aback at her tone.

"Hey..." I replied, noticing something was off. Pansy turned to Malfoy.

"I'll talk to you in a few minutes," she whispered closely in his ear, but loud enough for me to hear.

He smirked at her and motioned with his hand for the rest of the group to follow, leaving me in Pansy to ourselves.

"What was that all about?" I questioned, more perplexed than ever.

"Don't you think Draco is rather charming," she asked with the appearance of being lovesick.

I glared at her as if she had lost her mind.

"I think he is a bloody moron," I answered, beginning to resemble particularly cross emotions, "Pansy, are you okay?"

She snorted, shaking her head as if she told a common joke and I was supposed to understand it.

"I have just grown particularly fond of Draco. There's no harm in that."

Was Pansy going insane?

"You do realize how psycho he is? I mean- remember when we talked about this? We agreed to separate from him and stay friends. You said he was selfish, ridiculous-"

"Well, Rosewood," she cut me off, agitated, "Perhaps it's time I explain why you are quite naïve."

I stared at her befuddled, waiting for her to further elaborate.

"Listen. You're a great person, an amazing friend no doubt. You see, I was not entirely excited to be friends with you, but it proved to be a wide decision, of course."

Wherever she was going with this, I had no idea. It felt like traveling down a dark road with unknown endings.

"Getting close with Draco had always been my main objective though, despite our friendship. While you were such a pleasant friend, staying mutual with Draco will always be my first option. What's better is that I now have him all to myself since you two have nothing to do with each other."

My heart stopped.

"You are choosing Malfoy over me?" I questioned in a shocking tone of voice.

"I have already chosen him from the beginning. Being friends with you was simply the closest way to get to know him. You do understand though, don't you Rosewood? You understand what it feels like to fall in love?" she asked, her voice manipulative.

"So we aren't- friends anymore?"

"It was great while it lasted. Toodles!"

Instead of saying anything back, I just let her trail away. I had just come face-to-face with a shocking betrayal, one that would surely leave me scarred for a long while. I could not fathom all of which I had just witnessed. Had she been using me from the start? We're we truly never friends? Had she been lying to me for the past three of years of our supposedly fake friendship? I felt my heart shatter to a million pieces and a tight feeling lingered in my chest. However, as I thought back over the last three years with her, it made no sense. She appeared to have had been genuine, kind, and everything a friend was supposed to be. We told each other our secrets, I was there for her when she needed me most, and we spent a great deal of our time together.

All for a boy.

I seated myself at the Slytherin table far from anyone I knew or recognized. I listened as Dumbledore presented his annual speech and I made the mistake of glancing over at Malfoy and Pansy. I watched miserably as Pansy heavily flirted with him, causing me to feel significantly nauseated.  It was a heart-breaking betrayal; one I never saw coming. I could also sense that Malfoy was enjoying her company, which made me feel more disgusted. She had only been taking advantage of my association with Malfoy, playing the part of a devoted companion, which she played all too well. So, when I disassociated myself with him, she took the opportunity and disregarded me, putting her interests and feelings above my own. I wished for all of this to be some ridiculous prank, but unfortunately, I feared it would only progressively become much worse. 

I just wished I would have seen through Pansy beforehand. 

This year at Hogwarts, students from Beauxbaton and Durmstrang came to join us for the entire year at Hogwarts. Dumbledore also declared he was holding an event called the Triwizard Tournament. I did not care for such a tournament; however, I felt suffocated amongst all these new people in the Great Hall. 

After I finished eating, I tried to casually meander out from the busy dining room without drawing any unwanted attention to myself. When in such a distraught state as I was, solitude was my best option in order to organize my jumbled thoughts and be able to spread the word to those whom I could actually trust. 

I somehow found my feet leading me to the courtyard. The outside air was refreshing to my senses. Floating candles lit up parts of the courtyard, and the stars above gleamed in the night sky. 

Out of nowhere, as I walked onto the grass, I felt myself trip over someone's ankle and hit the ground beneath me. Suddenly, out of the dark shadows came Crabbe and a surge of fury rushed over me. Behind him, Malfoy, Parkinson, and Goyle also assembled out of the shadows. My first thought was how did they get here and how did they know where I was, which only led me to believe one conclusion. 

Those bloody idiots followed me out here. 

I scooted back on the grass and shot up as they all cackled with war-piercing laughter. 

"Ha! Ha! So funny," I retorted with a very noticeable tone of sarcasm in my voice. I rolled my eyes and wiped the dirt from my robes. I was now furious enough to kill.

"Watch where you're going next time," spat Malfoy, obviously entertained by my irritation.

"I thought you said you did not hate me," I shot back. 

My blood was boiling extremely hot. Parkinson howled with laughter as if I were making that up. For once, I wanted her to shut up.

"Perhaps I did not finish my sentence," said Malfoy as he confidently strode up towards me with his chin held high and his prideful expression visible in the moonlight. 

"I don't hate you. I loathe you. I despise you. I desire to see you suffer and beg for mercy. I want nothing but the failure of you."

His harsh, cruel words shot through me like a blazing bullet. I felt my breath hitch, then no breath at all. I backed away from him though we were not near to each other. For the first time in my life, I was afraid of Malfoy. It was embarrassingly clear in my facial expressions. I was also passed the brink of anger, but the idea of reaching for my wand completely crossed my mind. I was at a total loss for words. His gaze weighed heavy upon me, so hateful and demonizing. Clearly, Malfoy was no closer to ever redeeming himself. He was still just as wicked and twisted as before, and I was going to have to accept it. His true self has been made known to me, and I could not keep hoping for something that would never be there. I also could not bear to remember I was ever friends with someone like him.

Crabbe, Goyle, and Parkinson watched what was happening with an evil hunger in their eyes, probably waiting for Malfoy to perform a curse on me or something. Whatever was about to happen next, I would have very little time to react.

Suddenly, a booming voice sounded in the distance. 

"Get away from her!" the voice shouted.

He also said a few other words in between which I will not repeat.

Blaise stormed out of the darkness and stomped aggressively up to Malfoy with his wand pointed to the cruel boy's chest. Malfoy quickly backed away and accidentally dropped his wand in the process. While Blaise held him back, I took off running without a second thought in the world.