Chapter 38

In a provoked and troubled sense, I stormed away from the Astronomy Tower, the sound of fury in my steps. I had reached my lowest point, and the dreaded Draco Malfoy was there to witness my suffering.

Out of all people.

No doubt he would go to school the next morning and give an account of his sighting in a much more comical manner. Malfoy, Parkinson, and the other relentless bullies would surely make a mockery out of my misfortunes. As for the others, they are not to know of my pass whereabouts. Not Hermione, not Ginny, not Ron, and not even Kasper or Blaise. Instead of being a burden to others and accepting their pity with guilt, I will take on the heavy burden myself, and do my best to conceal its evidence.

The next morning, I wore a regular and content complexion, masking any sign of my discomfort from my outward features. Not only did I appear to be doing fine, Harry also seemed to be getting along just fine without me as well. I mean- from what I have taken note of anyway. I was not studying him closely either. It was merely a small observation.

Well, all I can say is that this has been quite the extravagant week. Sunday was the day of me and Harry's last ever date, Monday was the day he let out his anger on me, Tuesday was the day we officially stopped dating, Wednesday was the day I broke down in front of Malfoy, and I am weary for what this bright and sunny Thursday may hold.

I never would have thought that Sunday would be me and Harry's last date. I would have never guessed that during the last hours of Tuesday night would be the last time me and Harry would be together. I would have never even fathomed that the day we parted for summer break would be the last time I would ever be held in Harry's arms.

I love you, were the words I had spoken to him before leaving.

I love you too.

The memory stung my empty spirit.

When the lesson was over, and when the professor gave us permission to talk with one another, I sat with Hermione at the back of the class. Somehow, we once again got on the subject of the Triwizard Tournament, which was to be held this Saturday. Then, I asked a daring question when Hermione mentioned that Harry figured out how he was going to survive the first task.

Or, maybe I should refer to him as Potter now, given our current situation.

"Has Potter said anything about me at all?" I asked as I brought my voice down low.

Hermione and Potter were unfortunately still decently good friends, and she appeared a bit surprised when I referred to him by his last name. I do not believe it should have come as a shock, but she brushed off the matter without another thought.

"Well, all he said was that he cried the day after you two broke up. I've heard nothing more," she replied.

Potter? Crying? Over something he caused?

"That's too bad I guess," I responded bitterly, packing my books into my backpack.

"You don't hate him now, do you?" inquired Hermione, a inquisitive tone protruding from her speech.

I thought about this and gazed at Harry from across the room, a vague grin playing at my lips as if I accomplished a great thing.

"Perhaps," I considered.

For now on, no longer do I fancy Potter in the slightest. I have hardened my heart towards him, a bitter one at that.

"I thought he asked you to still be friends," Hermione presumed.

"He did... through a letter." I rolled my eyes at this statement. Such a cowardly act indeed.

Hermione understood, and it was at that exact moment that the bell rang.