Chapter 20

Midnight:

Dear Harry,

I began to delicately stroke my quill across the piece of parchment paper as the wisping winds of the night whispered gently at my window.

I hope you are having a wonderful summer. I've just spent most of my summer so far unpacking boxes, which left me exhausted after all the work was done. Getting settled into my new room was certainly not easy, but I managed.

I dipped my quill into my ink bottle before continuing on the next part of my letter.

Well, at the supper table tonight, Malfoy was sent away so Lucius and Narcissa could discuss the upcoming court date with me and Kasper. We don't go until August 31st. Don't worry though! I will be okay!

Anyways, Lucius and Narcissa first began by telling me and Kasper how sorry they felt for us and that our abuse was completely unaware to them. They wanted to make things better for us, so they were more than happy to welcome us into their home. Then, they started to discuss how the court process was going to take place. Kasper and I must testify in court as we are the only real two witnesses of their behavior. Whether that's in the court room or in private, I'm not sure. The details never come until the very end. I'm not too knowledgeable of the Wizarding Court System either, however, Lucius and Narcissa said they were certain of me and Kasper's victory.

I took a short break to relieve the cramps from my hand. I continued with the letter.

Though as dark and mysterious as Malfoy Manor may appear, it's honestly quite marvelous. I feel like a princess walking down the long and breathtaking corridors. All I need is my prince.

I thought Harry would like that.

Yes, I know you aren't too fond of Lucius and Narcissa, but they are on our side. Just trust them. Most importantly, trust me. This will all be said and done in no time.

Well, I can't express through words how much I truly miss you. As of right now, I'm wearing your Quidditch jumper and longing for a kiss. I can't wait to see you and I promise to never forget about you. I will write to you every day until my hand falls off. I love you. Just remember that.

                                                                                                           Sincerely, your soulmate,

                                                                                                                                       Holly

Since it was midnight, I decided I would wait until the morning to send my owl with Harrys' letter. I wondered if he was also writing a letter, or perhaps he was sleeping and dreaming about me. Or being pestered by Dudley and being lectured by his aunt and uncle-

With the careful wave of my wand, I sent my quill and ink bottle into the drawer of my desk. I then began to imagine Harry and I meeting once again, a broad grin plastered across his face and welcoming me into his arms.

I should have decided to go to bed that night, however, instead, I slowly cracked open my door and saw the light from Kasper's bedroom peeking from under the door.

I was not the only one awake that night.

I probably should have knocked; however, I was not thinking and opened the door unannounced and without a proper invitation. I knew how much Kasper preferred his personal space, though he didn't seem all that bothered. He was sitting upright in his bed and writing in a journal. He did not look up to see who had entered, so I assumed he knew it was me and that I was welcome after all.

Knowing this, I timidly walked to the side of his bedside as he continued to scribble away with his quill across the pages of his journal.

"Are you writing?" I asked, though the answer seemed pretty obvious.

"I guess that's what you can call it," he replied with a thought, his eyes reading back over his journal entry.

"Well what else would you call it?"

I sat crisscross-apple sauce facing Kasper on the bed.

"I like to refer to it as journaling," he said thoughtfully, carefully closing the brown, leather binding of his journal and setting it on the nightstand, along with his writing utensils.

"How often do you journal?"

I never knew Kasper had a passion for writing, or journaling as he prefers to call it.

"Not that often. Every once in a while, maybe."

However, I glanced at the sides of the pages of his journal where it lay on the nightstand. From the looks of it, it seemed to me that he had written frequently, for the ink had seeped through many of the pages and it appeared worn out from constant use. There was no telling what Kasper had written between the binding of that journal. I didn't bother to ask. It could have been a diary. In that case, some things are better kept private.

"So, um- are you alright?" asked Kasper.

The more Kasper talked, the more I noticed the many changes in his speech and overall self.

"Yes, I'm splendid except-" My fingers played at the ends of the sleeves of Harry's Gryffindor jumper, which was rather large on me.

"Except?"

"Oh, nothing! I didn't mean to say that actually," I let out a weak laugh nervously," What about you? Are you doing alright?"

"You're not a Gryffindor," pointed out Kasper, ignoring my question and examining my jumper.

"It's Harry's," I admitted with a winsome smile.

"You miss him, don't you?"

"Well, a little bit," I confessed foolishly, scratching the back of my neck.

"I understand you are in love," mocked Kasper in an unharmful and silly tone," But you'll get to see him in a couple of months. I believe you will be okay."

"Yes, yes, I know," I let out a small and tired chuckle," I'm going to be okay."

I'm going to be okay.

"Yes indeed! Also, I must tell you something." A grin played at his lips.

"And what could that be?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Well, I wanted to get a job over the summer to save money for the future. I was thinking about asking Lucius if I could possibly get a position at the Ministry that would pay well."

"Well, that's one way to spend your summer."

"You don't like the idea?"

"Of course, I do! I support your working efforts though it doesn't sound all that fun."

"It's just the more I work now, the easier the future will be."

"I understand, Kas."

The only light which lit the room was the bright lamp that sat on the nightstand. It shone a golden ray of light throughout the roaming darkness. I took quick note of Kasper's features in the golden atmosphere. How drastic was the change in his outward look! His light brown eyes no longer appeared weary but were youthful and full of light. His hair was as black as the night, though nothing about his hair has ever changed. Dark circles no longer lived under his eyes and his face was full of color. The change in him was truly noticeable. It was for the good, even the greater good.

Glimpse of Kasper's POV:

My mom once said,

You must serve Lord Voldemort, no matter the circumstance. Your destiny awaits, my dear Kasper.

That was no longer my destiny. In fact, it never was my destiny. Now I could laugh in their faces, for I am the reason they may never see the light of day ever again.

The battle was won. No longer am I fighting for a reason to live. I can now fulfill my true destiny.

To make life better for me and Holly.

------------------------------------------------------

Kasper, the boy who had begun to heal.