Chapter 36

After ten months, ten months it has been, me and Harry's relationship has finally come to an end. It did not last a lifetime after all.

I would have preferred to say that I was more relieved to be away from Harry than distraught, yet his words still hurt me. His words cut somewhere deep, opening new wounds and reopening opening old ones. The entire argument and his proposal was still puzzling to me. Instead of figuring out what he was hiding, if there even was anything, the conversation only led to a break up. I never intended to break up with him, but I had no other choice. I cannot continue to commit to someone who no longer has an interest or love for me. Besides, if I had not broken up with him, Harry would have been the first to do it. I could not let that happen. I knew I had to be the one to end things.

Now, I was single, but it was for the best.

Right?

After a break up, you may expect one to sob for hours or be in an inconsolable state of mind. None of these applied to me. I have yet to shed a single tear and I have no need for comfort. In fact, boys are ridiculous. It is not worth crying over one.

Right?

Someone please tell me I am right before I break.

The result of me and Harry's separation was worse than I thought. Rumors immediately began to spread. Everyone wanted to hear my side of the story, especially the girls who could not keep their noses out of other people's privacy. Other girls offered their unnecessary support through my break up, which also came with numerous questions about how the break up happened. Turns out everyone in the school thought me and Harry were the perfect couple, one destined for marriage. I'm afraid it is rather foolish for them to judge a book by its cover.

However, once the news was to reach Parkinson, I just knew it would amuse her greatly. It would give her a better reason to mock me.

She just so happened to approach me while I was running late to my next class. How convenient!

"Rosewood," she addressed me. Already was I agitated. "I have heard rumors."

I did not care about what she was saying.

"Can't you see I'm running late?" I argued.

"You know our History of Magic Professor wouldn't notice if you showed up to class or not. He just sleeps the entire time." she protested.

"I did not ask."

"I heard Harry broke up with you."

I did not quit speed-walking to my class, though the bell had rung, meaning I was going to be a few minutes late.

"No, I broke up with Harry," I corrected her. Not that it really mattered who broke up with who.

"Why?"

Parkinson then stood in the wake of my path, not letting my continue my journey.

"Parkinson, stop talking to me as if we are best friends. You threw that away a long time ago."

Well, a month did feel like a long time ago.

When I pushed past her, I purposely bumped my shoulder into hers for no reason. I stormed away because I knew she craved some sort of reaction from me. She wanted me to become stirred up in my own anger. I would not give her the satisfaction. Instead, I stormed off, yet not to class. Rather, I seated myself on the grass in the peaceful and deserted courtyard. It was just beginning to be the season of fall and the tree's leafs were already stained with red, yellow, and orange. I sat with my knees huddled up to my chest, my thoughts blank.

A few minutes later, a letter fell from the sky and landed in front of me. I stared at it for a moment before picking it up off the ground.

It was from Harry.

My heart sped up as I ripped open the envelope and read the letter.

Dear Holly
Look, I know you probably hate me, but I was wondering if we could still stay friends. I understand if not but I still think you are a nice person. Just let me know.
                                                  -Harry

I tore the letter to seven pieces, then set them all on fire with a spell from my wand. I watched the paper be consumed by the small flames which I had casted upon them. Perhaps this is what happened to the numerous letters I had sent to Harry over the summer that I never got a single response to. I may never know.

Harry wanted to stay friends, even after all he said and did to me. Rubbish! He was the one who had wanted to walk out of my life. Therefore, he will not be crawling back to me. He proposed we separated for several years, which would had eventually turned into forever. People change over time, and I don't believe he would have stayed true to his word, even if I did agree to his problematic plan. If I was just so hard to keep in contact with, then I will just make it easier for him.

He will be forgotten as he had once forgotten me.

He will reap what he sows.