Chapter 31

It was now the beginning of October. I had desperately wanted to pretend this school year was a normal year, but much has changed compared to last year. As most may recognize by now, Parkinson and I are now enemies. She has also recently discovered that treating me poorly appears to satisfy Malfoy. She has since then committed many ridiculous acts towards me such as framing me for throwing a piece of paper at a kid's head during class and gossiping about me to the girls whom she claimed to hate back in April.

I no longer speak to Malfoy, obviously, but that does not mean I have refrained from noticing the difference in him compared to last year. His only target of bullying is no longer just Harry and anyone who associates with him. In fact, I would like to say that there is not anyone he has not insulted or mistreated yet. Bullying is no more than a sport to him, and he seems to find it entertaining. I hate every bit of it. He used to never be this bad before...or perhaps he always has been this cruel, and I am just now recognizing it. I just wish Malfoy could see all the damage he is caused and all which is bound to happen if he keeps acting the way he does. While he does anger me to my core, it is also rather disappointing to see switch in his behavior and personality. However, he chose this, not me.

I felt embarrassed for myself every time I ever recalled back to the times when I had convinced myself that Malfoy was merely just a misunderstood product of his father. The only way I judged him was by the way he treated me, and even that was not too great. I never really and truly considered how he treated people like Harry and his friends.

A memory so suddenly came to my mind.

You'll see.

I have not forgotten those demanding words of violent rage. I have most likely only witnessed half of what Malfoy maliciously promised I would see, nevertheless I believe I have seen quite enough. I have seen his true side which had remained hidden to me throughout our years of friendship. I can sadly say the same about Pansy.

The truth always comes out in the end, right?

I still could not wrap my head around the fact that I had blamed his cocky behavior mostly on his dad. I literally have two parents behind bars right now yet look at me!

As it shockingly turns out, the last time I spoke to Harry was to ask him how he managed to be chosen for the Triwizard Tournament since he did not meet the proper age requirement. That was exactly a week ago. He claimed he was clueless because he never put his name in the Goblet of Fire to enter the tournament. Then, shortly after I got my answer, Harry was swallowed up by a crowd of boys, who were just as curious. I did not bother waiting but walked off and decided it was not worth any valuable time to stand there and wait for his acknowledgment. He was also so caught up in the praise and chants from the other guys that he never noticed when I had made my departure in a state of disappointment. I hated how every time someone would come along, or a group rather, and immediately steal his attention away from me. I also hated how easily Harry could get distracted and how easily he would instantly forget my existence; however, I have refrained from telling him my feelings, afraid I might be rude.

For some reason, I feared Harry was slowly and steadily distancing himself from me. I have yet to discover the unknown reason for his lack of attention towards me. I began to develop an unsettling concern for our relationship, a concern which I have been setting aside for a while. However, the concern only grew deeper and deeper by the days to the point where I could no longer be in denial about the troubles I was dealing with. Something in our ten-month relationship had to be in peril.

We rarely made conversation with each other anymore. Harry conveyed the impression that he always had somewhere to be and that everything in his life was going wrong. He also had a lame excuse for every time I approached him.