Prosthetic Hearts (Doc)

××× 💕🖤 ×××

I watched as Y/n left the office without a word, slamming the door behind him. He was angry with me again and it was my fault. I was just stressed and shouldn't have said what I did.

..

"Don't you understand, Y/n? IT IS A LIFE OR DEATH SITUATION THAT I AM NOT GOING TO RISK YOU ON!"

"I DON'T CARE GUSTAV! YOU'RE PUTTING ME ON THAT MISSION YOU STUBBORN ASS."

"NO, Y/N. I AM NOT GOING TO SEND YOU OUT ON A SUICIDE MISSION! I'D RATHER RISK MY LIFE THAN WATCH YOU LEAVE ON THAT MISSION!"

It was back and forth screaming. Y/n was crying but neither of us were budging. Finally, he spoke quietly.

"If you really cared about me you'd let me do what I want to do most. Save lives, even if it meant my own."

"Alors je suppose que je m'en fiche."
(Then I guess I don't care)
..

I shouldn't have told him that. It was wrong of me and now God knows what he's doing. I sighed, standing up and quietly walking out. I wasn't going to be able to stop him, so I at least wanted to say good by to him before he left.

I caught up to him pretty quickly, grabbing his hand and gently massaging it out of the tightened fist it was.

"What do you want, Tav?" He rasped, not meeting my eyes. I sighed, setting a hand on his face.

"I cannot stop you from going, so I at least wanted to see you off," I murmured quietly. I felt him smile and the skin get wet under my hand. He was crying. Y/n pulled me into a hug, gripping me tightly.

"I'm sorry for yelling at you. I promise I'll come back in one piece," he whispered.

I wish he had been right about that.

×××

I struggled to keep my breathing even as we pulled up to the smoking building. It was the same one Y/n was called to. I knew I shouldn't have let him gone and yet I still gave into him.

Rushing into the building, it was our task to retrieve any friendlies and hostages. Any enemies were to be shot on sight.

I grew tunnel vision, barely paying attention to the ones I found, guiding them out quickly before going in search of Y/n once more. And I found him, only in the worst way possible.

There he lay, his leg trapped under rubble. He looked so defeated, sweat and tears making tracks along his dusty face. He didn't notice me until I was right over him, trying to move the rubble.

"I'm sorry, 'Tav. I should have listened to you. I'm sorry," he rasped, closing his e/c eyes.

"Sh, sh, sh. It's not you're fault, mon amour. We're going to get you out of here, okay? Just stay awake a little longer for me," I whispered, giving him a small stim to keep him up. I almost had his leg free.

Lifting up the last of the rubble, I suddenly felt a bursting pain in my shoulder. Gripping it, I quickly turned around, shooting at the hostile who had found their way to us. I grimaced at the pain, but I knew I had to ignore it right now.

Quickly picking up the freed Y/n, I carried him bridal style out of the building.

There was another burst of first pain, making me cry out. Second bullet, in the thigh. I had to get out of here soon, but I knew there were still people here. I grimaced, handing Y/n off to Mina, who was taking care of the ones who were retrieved, before running back into the building.

××× Y/n's POV ×××

I watched as 'Tav ran back into the building, determination on his face. He knew there were still people in there; he was going to get them out, even though he himself was hurt.

"He's gonna get himself killed!" I cried, trying to go back after him. Mina didn't let me, pushing me back down as I put into the ambulance.

"He'll be fine. Gustav knows what he's doing. We need to get you on an operating table anyways. Your leg needs to be amputated as soon as possible, before infection becomes a risk," she explained. It was then that I noticed my leg, a bleeding mass of pulp and bone. I stared at it, eyes wide. My breathing became panicked as the world started swimming before dimming out completely.

××× Docs POV ×××

"What do you mean he's not here?" I sobbed, panicking over the missing man that was my lover.

"We had to transport him to the hospital, Gustav. His leg needed emergency amputation," Mina said, trying to calm me down. "Y/n is strong. He'll get through it, I promise."

I shook my head, my only thought being to get to Y/n. And that's what I did. I immediately started for the hospital, glad it was only about 10 minutes away from the site. I ran into the hospital, looked haggard and exhausted, but clearly on a mission. My bullet wounds had already been patched up thanks to Mina and Lera, and I used a single crutch to take pressure off my thigh, but I still moved with a haste.

Immediately, one of the nurses hurried up to me, already knowing who I was and what I was here for.

"He's still being operated on, Dr. Kateb. We've got the best surgeons on him, so trust that he's in good hands. If you'll have a seat, we'll let you know when he's out of surgery, which should be soon," she explained, leading me calmly to one of the seats. I gave her a small nod as I sat, the nurse quickly hurrying off to attend t other things.

I let my face fall to my hands, sobbing quietly into them. Being able to do what he did meant everything to Y/n. Now, he might not ever be able to do it again.

No, I wouldn't let it. If Apha (Aruni) could do what she does, then so can Y/n.

×××

Y/n was finally out of surgery and I was quick to get to his room. He looked so peaceful, sleeping there. Though his face was bruised and cut up, he seemed content. I almost didn't notice the uneven shape where his legs were. His leg really was gone. I limped over, sitting down in the chair as I gently grabbed his hand, tears streaming down my face.

"I'm sorry, Y/n. This is all my fault. If I had been a little more stubborn. I should have gone instead of you. Je suis désolé.." I mumbled quietly, laying my head on the bed. It was he's to let him rest.

××× Y/n's POV ×××

Waking up to blinding hospital lights and the smell of rubbing alcohol wasn't the best, but I understood why I was there. I had lost my leg. It almost made me laugh after realizing I broke my promise to Tav. Speaking of, I almost didn't notice the French man sitting beside me, looking more exhausted and fatigued than I ever remember seeing him before. I could see the bulkiness of bandages under his shirt and a crutch propped against the wall. I smiled slightly, at least knowing he was safe. I watched him as he dozed, running my other hand gently through his black hair. After a while, it seemed to wake him up.

As soon as Tav met my eyes, tears welled up in his as his lip trembled.

"I'm sorry Y/n. I knew I shouldn't have let you gone but I did. It's all my fault you lost your leg. If I had gone instead of you, you-"

"'Tav, it ain't your fault. I didn't listen to you when I should have and it almost got me killed. None of it's your fault," I murmured reassuringly, holding my arms out for a hug. He immediately took it, holding onto my like I might disappear.

We stayed like that for a while, content in each other's arms.

××× 4 years later, Doc's POV ×××

It had been four years since Y/n lost his leg. But that didn't stop him from anything. After he got his prosthetic leg (courtesy of Apha) and finished physical therapy, he went right back to work with even more determination than before.

Honestly, just waking up to him next me and seeing him alive, a ring on his hand, and a smile on his face is enough for me. Though he might have lost his leg that day, he never lost his fire. And that's what I love so dearly about him. He didn't let anything dampen his spirits.

Losing a limb? That was no exception to him and he made sure to prove it.

××