Interrogation (Vigil)

××× 💞🖤 ×××

I can still remember everything from my trip out of North Korea, when my family and I defected. I remember copying my parents, forcing down every ounce of emotion, every little reaction in fear of being caught. I had done it for so long I hadn't even cried when my brother got lost in that river.

I didn't cry when I lost my parents. I didn't even speak. Grief, it was such a foreign emotion to me. Just as joy was.

But he showed me otherwise.

I remember when Y/n first got introduced to Rainbow. He was this fidgety mess who's eyes spoke louder than any word or action. But he was smart and cunning. He was quick to catch onto how one was feeling.

Even me. I can remember the first time I was in the infirmary. Gustave was out with the rest of the GIGN on some matters back in France, so it was just Y/n in.

I had some minor accident in the training room. The weights had a sharp edge and sliced my hand open. I'll admit, it stung like hell and didn't want to stop bleeding. But, of course, i didn't allow him to see how much it really affected me.

"Ah, Chul, right? What happened to your hand?" Y/n asked upon seeing the fresh blood.

"One of the weights in the training room had a sharp edge on it. Completely sliced my hand open," I told him, voice flat. He gently grabbed the wounded hand, holding it close to inspect it before leading me towards a sink. He carefully washed away the blood before having me sit down, allowing him to rummage through some cabinets before returning with bandages, disinfectant and what looked like a needle and thread.

Y/n has always been gentle. When he took my hand again to clean it out, he looked up at me.

"This is gonna sting. Like a lot. If you need a break, let me know. Just take some deep breaths, I can tell you're in pain already," he murmured, taking me by surprise. He laughed slightly as he worked, earning a hiss of pain.

"What gave it away?" I asked. I always thought myself to have a blank face. Maybe I didn't. Maybe I wasn't as good at surpreasing reactions as I thought I was.

"Well, the cut severed nerve endings first of all. Of course it hurts. And second, I can see it in your eyes. See, our eyes get watery whenever we're in pain and our pulse gets faster. Your heart was beating like you just got done with a warmup exercise and your eyes looked like wet and hazy," Y/n explained. I was so focused on him talking I didn't even realize he was trying off the stitches. He was quick to wrap my hand up tightly.

"You know, Chul. You're safe here. At base. You can show us how you feel and you won't get in trouble. I know it's because of your past, but here you're safe, okay?" He said, his voice hesitant and quiet. I stared at him before giving a small nod.

I think it was then that I fell in love with him. Sometimes, I wish I knew when he fell for me. I always asked him and he always laughed, saying he didn't know when it happened, only that it did.

×××

There was, of course, another side to Y/n's job. He was a soldier first. A special open, focused on infiltration. Spying. I remember when he told me that he was a medic second.

"You know, Chul. There's something you probably want to know if you don't already, " he had begun, leaning into me that late night as we got settled under the sheets. I hummed in response, waiting for his answer.

"I wasn't originally trained as a medic. Originally, I was an infiltration specialist. I still am. Meaning I could be deployed on active duty at any point in time. Harry said it might happen soon, with all the new activity of terrorist groups and Night Haven," Y/n he murmured softly. I looked at him, trying so hard to hide the shock. But it was Y/n I couldn't hide anything from him.