Valentine's (Thatcher)

××× 💕 ×××

I stared at the road ahead of me, barely paying attention to it. It was Valentine's Day morning, the sun still rising as the dew clung to every surface. I had plans for today, for a very special someone.

See, Y/n and I had been together for years now. I was an old dog and Y/n often knew how I could get about it. Although he wasn't that much younger, only by about eight years, it still felt like a canyon. And every year it felt like I always moped about it, no matter how many times Y/n reassured me.

Which is why I was putting so much work into today. He deserved everything, with his sweet words and gentle nature. He was a steady stone and stuck with me through everything, even my bouts of stubborn anger and frustration.

I was thrown my thoughts as I pulled up to the curb of an apartment complex, shutting the car off as I parked and made way for the building. I'd been here so many times that some of the tenants leaving the building waved good morning to me. I smiled back at them as I made my way up to Y/n's apartment.

Knocking on the door, I felt myself get nervous. Why? I'd done this hundreds of times before. I guess it was just jitters for later.

As I knocked on the door I was quickly greeted by Y/n's warm embrace and familiar cologne. I was quick to return the embrace, smiling as he pulled away to give me a small kiss.

"Happy Valentine's day, dear. I'll be ready to go in a second, just let me feed the fish and get shoes on. You can wait on the couch," he said quickly as he stepped away, disappearing down the hall. I smiled to myself, leaning against the counter in the kitchen rather than sitting down.

I could hear him shuffling around in his room as he got his shoes on and fed his tank of goldfish he'd lovingly named as some of his favorite game characters. A moment later, he came walking back out, pulling on a light jacket.

"So, any hint on what we're doing today? You know how much I hate suspense," he asked, slipping his hand in mine after he locked the apartment door. He gave me a pleading look and I laughed.

"Nope, complete surprise. Why would I ruin that, hm?" I teased. He snorted and I earned a half heartes punch to the shoulder. He didn't push it, leaning comfortably into my arm as we walked out to the car.

The car ride was filled with light conversation, Y/n happily filling in the silence. It wasn't long before we arrived to our destination, a small café that I knew Y/n loved. He lit up at the sight and quickly got out of the car, waiting patiently for me as I took his hand in mine, leading him inside.

Of course, he was happy that I even took him anywhere today, but I planned on making it a little more special. After this, I planned on taking him back to my place for some down time and lunch before going back out for dinner as this high end restaurant I know he's been dying to try.

"Did you hear what Mark managed to do the other night?" Y/n asked around a mouthful of f/f (favorite food). I shook my head with a sigh.

"No, he didn't. What'd he do now?"

"Apparently him and James got into this big fight or whatever and instead of talking it out like civil people, Mark had had enough of James' bullshit and pulled him into that little area thing we have in the gym. Seamus watched it and he said he'd never seen Mark so angry. I think even he was scared," he explained, laughing a little at the idea. I snorted, rolling my eyes as I took another bite of my breakfast.

"James probably said something stupid without thinking again. I'm glad he got put in his place."

The rest of the morning was quiet as we finished eating and went back to my place. Well, technically it was the SAS dorms, but I convinced the boys to go out and do something for a few hours so Y/n and I could have the place to ourselves for a bit.

He was happy to cuddle up on the couch as we watched a movie before I made a small lunch. He knew we were going out again later and didn't want to spoil his appetite. I smiled at as he watched the movie. How I managed to catch his attention, I had no idea.

He was as flawless as a human could get. He had such a fiery compassion and determination that just drew to me. Not to mention the sharp tongue. I'll never forget the day he put Max in his place.

A kind soul with kind words, gentle hands and sweet gestures. I remember when he first told me he liked me. I had scarcely believed it. Thought he was joking before he kissed me.

These thoughts made the time fly by, as it was time to get going. Y/n was already dressed up, with his turtleneck sweater and fresh slacks. I had to take a few minutes to actually get ready, as I had definitely been underdressed for the occasion.

The drive was quiet, Y/n stealing glances at me as I drove. I smiled, glancing at him out of the corner of my eye.

The sun was starting to dip below the horizon as we made it to the restaurant. He gawked at it, amazed that I'd remembered the name of the place. How could I, when he talked about it with such stat struck wonder?

The dinner was quiet as we ate, Y/n struck by the beauty of the place. He continuously told me how much he loved me and I couldn't help but feel it was true.

I stared at him from across the table, rehearsing what I was going to say. Not like it'd matter.

"Y/n, you're amazing, you know that?" I murmured, rubbing the top of his hand as I held it. He laughed a little.

"So you've told me."

"Well, I figured I'd tell you again. And give you this, if you'll have me," I said. It wasn't as elequent or sappy as it could have been, but it got the point across as I held out the small, velvet box. He sat there stunned, staring at it like a fish out of water.

I patiently waited for his response, grinning as he started nodding. I slipped the ring on his finger, giving him a soft kiss.

"See why I kept it a surprise, now? Happy Valentine's, darling."