Rescue (Maverick)

look man they cant all be happy fluffy stories. somebody's getting hurt and he just happened to be next on the chopping board

edit from future me as i finish this story: okay but i lied it will be happy in the end but th next angst will have not a single ounce of happy.

××× 🖤💕 ×××

Walking down the quiet, creaky hall felt strange. It had been years, but I could still hear the laughter of Y/n running down here, chasing after me or vice versa. The hall was bare, although there were rectangular spots where frames used to hang. They had been pictures of Y/n and I, before we.. before I lost them.

"Eric, you're slow. Come on, hurry up or 'Tav is gonna leave without us!" I could hear Y/n call. I laughed, shutting the door behind us as I watched him race down the hall, bumping into one of the pictures. It fell, but thankfully didn't break. Y/n laughed a little, picking it up and putting it back up as I stopped beside him.

Wrapping my arm around his waist, a gentle kiss was planted against his forehead before we walked out the door, greeting the waiting Gustav.

That had been three years ago. Right before Y/n went MIA.

I continued farther into the cold, quiet house. The living room sat cold and still.

"Eric, I've told you a hundred times before! Stop messing with your torch. This happens everytime," he grumbled, wrapping up my burnt hand as I laughed a little. He had insisted on dragging me out to the couch, not wanting to miss one of his favorite shows.

"Sorry, sorry. This time I actually needed to mess with it! One of tubes was leaking so I had to patch it up before I realized I had to recallibrated everything, so I decided to just dismantle and piece it back to together. Which thank god I did because I -" Y/n cut me off there with a sweet kiss, smiling as he gently held my burnt hand.

"Enough with the nerd talk. Just be careful next time, okay?"

The room sat empty now, only a few decorations here and there. I moved on to the kitchen, a thin layer of dust covering every surface.

I stood in the kitchen, cooking quietly as I waited for Y/n to wake up. He'd been up late last night at the clinic, swamped with patients and paperwork. Gustav of all people made him go home.

After breakfast was almost ready, I heard a quiet shuffling as Y/n walked out, perking up at the sight of food and coffee.

"What'd I do to deserve you?" He mumbled, taking a mug of coffee and sitting down as I made up our plates.

"Don't know, but I wouldn't push for an answer sweetpea," I said with a laugh, watching him grin at me from across the counter.

I remember that morning. I had made him cinnamon rolls, one of his favorites. It had been the last morning we had ever spent with each other.

Y/n went MIA later that day on a routine patrol, along with the rest of the unit. We assumed them all KIA, as we had no clues or evidence of where they went or who might have taken them.

We- I had hunted for him for months, but even I didn't have enough clues, enough connections to find him.

Everyone else had given up a couple months in. I went on for another year an a half before finally accepting that Y/n was lost to me. It didn't mean I ever got over him. We both knew the risks of this job. We both knew that one day one of us might not come home.

We'd accepted that fact. But it didn't help the bitter pain, that gaping hole right in your chest. That tingling emotion when you can just tell something is missing. After that day, waking up to a cold bed and a silent house was too much for me. I moved back to the dorming when I was staying in America. I started traveling more and more; I was taking on even more operations and work than ever before.