Mornings (Vigil)

××× short 💕 ×××

I always found waking up such a difficult task before. It always meant the start of a new day with the same mask. It was always the same, boring, repetitive bullshit. Sure, it changed up when I was deployed, but even that stared to get old.

But then he came along. He worked under Gustav as a permanent medical personnel. He didn't get deployed, only called upon when they needed the extra hand on the field.

Y/n had a beauty that didn't seem to belong in a place like this. He was graceful and his touch and care were always warm, soft, and gentle. He had a way with words that calmed even the angriest moods of Seamus. He knew how to get even Ryad to sleep and helped better Gustav and Olivier's relationship.

Everything at the agency got better when Y/n started working here. And so did my mornings. He started waking up next to me, his eyes glowing with such affection it made me wonder if I was really awake. His touch was always gentle and warm, his voice soft. He always made me want to stay in bed, but always managed to convince me to get ready.

It was the same this morning, but today was a lucky day off. As usual, I rose with the sun, Y/n still asleep beside me, his chest falling and rising with the easy rythm of sleep. The morning glow of the sun, albeit dimmed by the curtains, dimpled his skin, giving him na otherworldly glow.

He really was perfect.

I cupped his face in my hand carefully so as not to wake him. Running my thumb along his cheek, I pressed a light kiss to his forehead, then his nose, both his cheeks, until I finally reached his lips. I felt a light smile against my own lips and knew he was waking up. Pulling away, I was greeted with shining e/c eyes, brimming with soft love. Y/n smed at me, pulling me for another kiss and I held him close.

"Go back to sleep, sugar. It's too early to be up, especially since it's your day off," he mumbled, his voice rough with sleep. A laugh erupted from my chest, causing his smile to grow.

"You know I can't do that. How about I let you sleep longer while I make breakfast, huh?" I murmured, pressing one last kiss to his lips before swinging my legs up and out of the bed. Y/n groaned behind me.

"But it's cold without you! Please, just five more minutes?" He pleaded, giving me such a puppy-eyed look I couldn't refuse. I sighed, laying back down and pulling him up to my chest.

"Okay, but only five minutes,"  I finally said. He grinned, tucking himself close against me, hands splayed out on my bare chest as he drifted off to sleep. I took his hand in mine, twisting the band wrapped around his ring finger.

To think he had said yes only four years ago. Honestly, I don't think I could imagine life without him. He taught me how it truly felt to feel love and love someone else. And he's kept his promise. He's stayed through everything with me and then some. He's by my side every chance he gets and shows how much he loves me every waking second he's with me. I don't think I can love another person like I love Y/n.

Sleep came easy and I found myself drifting off once more and didn't fight it.

×××

Later that morning, I was in the kitchen with Y/n wrapped tightly around my waist as he followed me around as I made breakfast. He had begrudgingly got out of bed an hour after he fell back asleep and still looked on the verge of sleeping.

When the food was done, I pulled him gently away from my back, turning to hand him a plate. After I took a seat, Y/n plopped his smaller/larger frame into my lap, giving me a smug grin as he dug into his breakfast. I only shook my head, smiling a little as I started my own.

Sitting there in that moment, I wondered how lucky I really got finding Y/n.

××