Heart of Glass (Jackal pt 2)

××× 💕🖤 ×××

Waking up to the sun in my face, I grinned. It had been yet another peaceful sleep, all thanks to Y/n. He was beside me, wrapped in the sheets and looking like some other worldly being. It had been a year now since we started dating and I had little to no restless nights because of his constant and steady presence.

I gently ran my hand along his exposed arm, a regular habit that formed to wake him up without scaring him. I felt him stir, the blankets rustling as he turned to face me, sleep still fading from his face.

I could only smile wider, basking in his warmth as he stretched out, settling down as I pressed a light kiss to his temple.

He hummed quietly at that, smiling as he sat there a moment, taking a deep breath before climbing out of the bed. Y/n made his way over to me, draping his arms lazily around me. Pressed against me so close, I could feel the vertical scar running down his chest.

Open heart surgery. It was something I'd only found out recently. On his last mission in the O/n (Organization. SAS, GIGN, FBI, GSG 9, etc), he was severely wounded and it caused problems with his heart, leading him to the surgery. Y/n recovered perfectly fine, but was restricted from active field duty, causing him to resign to being a doctor at Rainbow.

(This detail will come in later again, hint hint)

I sighed, pulling away momentarily as I dragged myself out of bed, unwilling to leave the embrace of my boyfriend.

"Come now, I know you don't wanna get up, but we've got a long day of work. I'll make dinner tonight for you, yeah?" Y/n said, trying to coax me into being productive. I groaned, but gave in. We got dressed quietly that morning, just taking comfort in each other's presence.

I wish I had said something.

××

Arriving on scene, I radioed Gustave, adrenaline coursing through my veins.

"Doc, what's the situation?" I asked, cautiously making my way into the building.

"Hostage. There's currently thirteen known civilians that are alive. Enemy quanity is unknown. If civilians are injured, O/n (Operator name) is on standby to retrieve the hostages for immediate medical attention," he explained. I acknowledged him and continued in, tracking the numerous footprints left around the building.

I could hear my squad mates breaching the building elsewhere, Håvard and Tori making quick work of whoever was back there. Tori made sure their backs were watched, as I could hear her stingers undoing themselves.

Eliza and Jordan were somewhere here, too. Jordan had already breached the building, helping Eliza take out the bulk of hostiles, Lera backing them up.

I wasn't aware, however, how badly the situation actually was. I had found the hostage room and was struck by the sight. Most, if not all, the hostages were wounded, the terrorists stalking around them like some pack of coyotes.

"Jackal, get out of there. You can't get all of them and take out the hostiles at once. Retreat and return with backup," I heard Doc's voice crackle over the radio. I stared at the barrel pointed at me and spoke quietly.

"It's a little too late for a retreat, Doc."

××

It felt like hours since the terrorists had bonded me and taken away my weapons. Where had the others gone? Had they gone for a retreat? Maybe it had only been a few minutes. Maybe they were on their way. I didn't know and had no way of knowing.

Until I heard a scuffle outside the room, which alerted the last three hostiles in the room. The hostages were silent, at least the ones not groaning in pain. Suddenly, the door flew open, the shards just missing the people in the room. Before I knew it, I was being untied by a familiar presence.