Drunk Mistakes (Smoke)

××× 🖤 ×××

Staring across the room, I watched as James moved from person to person. Flirting and getting close. I had been at the bar long before he had shown up, thinking I could get a few hours to myself to try and clear my head of him.

I watched him closely, aching to touch the familiar hands that were holding another. Aching to feel his rough lips against mine own, just once more. Yearning to feel his body pressed against mine, that feeling of safety when he had his arms around me.

All of it I ached, yearned for. But I couldn't have it. Not anymore.

I sat on the couch in my lovers arms, the slight scent of chemicals mixed with is familiar cologne now a comfort to me. I could feel myself drifting off, the TV becoming a distant sound as James pressed a light kiss to my forehead.

I could hear the door open as the sound of the other SAS members filled the air. I paid it no mind, dozing off as I felt James pick me up, carrying me to his room. It was a familiar place as I sunk into the cold sheets, too tired to reach for my boyfriend.

The bartender slid another shot towards me, pulling me from my thoughts. She was an old friend of mine, Yvette. We hadn't talked since I got the job at Rainbow, but she knew me well enough to know the look on my face everytime I glanced at him.

"I shouldn't feed into this, but that's something that's gotta hurt. I remember how you used to look at him, when you'd seen the SAS visit college. Drink up, friend. You'll need it," she said, her French accent cutting thickly through her words. She'd been an old friend of Gustave's, which is what helped me land the position I had now. I was grateful, truly, even though we didn't keep in touch. I gave her a small nod, downing the shot as I tried to ignore the familiar sense of a burning gaze in my back.

Smiling slightly, I paused at the doorstep. I'd been on an operation with Gustave and had been gone for quite some time. I'd kept in touch with James as much as I could and always let him know I was okay, and now that I was back I couldn't wait to be in his arms again.

And so, upon opening the door, I felt the air leave my lungs and my heart strained, threatening to tear apart at the seams.

"...James?" I asked quietly, standing in the doorway as I saw him uncomfortably close with a strange woman on the couch. He stared at me, shocked. The woman furrowed her brows, staring at James.

"Do you know him?" She asked him, scooting away slightly.

"Yes, he knows me. I'm his boyfriend. Who the hell are you?" I snapped, tears pulling at my eyes as I struggled to find a calming breath.

"What? You never mentioned anything about a boyfriend! It's not the fact that you like guys, it's the fact you thought it better to cheat on him that disgusts me," she cried, slapping him as she gathered her things. I could only stand there, seething as I watched James try to explain his way out of it. She smacked him again to shut him up.

As she approached me at the door, I could tell she wasn't lying when she said she didn't know.

"I'm sorry, I really am. I had no idea he had someone special waiting for him. You deserve better, stranger," she murmured, giving me an encouraging pat on the shoulder as she slid by me.

I remember that night. It was weeks ago but it felt like it happened mere minutes prior. I could feel James' eyes on me and when I turned around, I saw him making his way towards me. I turned back around, trying so hard to ignore his presence beside me.

Yvette slid another, larger glass towards me and gave me a slight nod of encouragement.

"Y/n, please. Please, I'm sorry for what happened. I was stupid. I was worried about you and got drunk and I didn't know you'd be home and-and I wasn't thinking and-" he started but I smacked a hand to his mouth, cutting him off.

"No excuse is going to change the fact you were so ready to cheat on me. No amount of I'm sorrys or any form of apology is going to make it hurt any less. I trusted you, James. I thought- you made me think I could actually be in love with someone and-and-" I started choking up, my heart straining as it had the night I saw him with that woman.

"Nothing you say will make me take you back," I finally whispered, letting my hand drop as I took a sip the drink in front of me, the alcohol burning my throat as it went down.

"Y/n, I-"

"Go, James. Just go. You've caused enough hurt as it is. You're lucky I haven't told any of the other boys yet. They still don't know the reason we split was because you cheated. Or should I tell them just so it will get you off my ass?" I snapped, tears streaming down my face. James, for once, was at a loss for words.

"I'll go. But I truly, truly am sorry," he muttered before giving up, shoulders hunched as he made his way out of the bar. Finishing my drink, I stood up, getting ready to pay for the drinks when Yvette stopped me.

"On the house, friend. It's been a rough night for you. Take a break. And tell the boys, I'm curious to see what happens. Better yet, tell Gustave. He'd love to have a reason to tear James a new one," she said, shooing me out of the bar with a small smile.

And so, I took her advice, telling the other members of the SAS along with Tav. None of them were happy. James didn't come into the office for a week and when he did, he had a nice black eye and the remnant of a swollen, busted lip.

Tav did his best to console me and it did help quite a bit. He was always there for me and even set me up with Håvard. We were both a bit cautious about dating another one in the agency, but I grew fond of the Norwegian man. He even got a fake wedding band for himself so should he ever get drunk, he could just show off his ring and remember that he's got someone special waiting on him.

It would take me a bit to get over what James did to me, but it was progress. And I had everyone supporting me through it.