Love Risks (Bandit)

××× 🖤 ×××

I knew there were risks to falling in love. To give someone the entirety of your heart, to share part of your soul with another, it held it's dangers. To lose your love would be like losing part of your heart.

It is how the Greek hero Achilles was described with his lover, that they were two halves of the same soul.

And that is what I felt with Y/n. We were a modern day Achilles and Patroclus.

Y/n had been totally obsessed with that story. A tale where he saw the hero not as the greatest of Greeks, but rather the underdog. The one who died to push the hero into action and finish what had been started.

I only wished that our modern day story had a happier ending. But Y/n was always one to play hero. Always one to except nothing from others and everything from himself.

It's been decades since that mission. I never got over him. I never married. I remained cold and bitter over him. It was unfair that such a pure soul such as his had to be snuffed out long before mine.

And now I lay on my death bed, completely alone. It almost reminded me of when I'd lost Y/n.

××× 20 years prior ×××

"Bandit, prioritize securing the building. Save as many civilians as you can but don't take risks. The same goes for you, C/n. You're there to help who you can without risk, not get killed trying to help one person," Monica's familiar voice rang out over our comms. I looked at Y/n, giving him a stern look. He rolled his eyes as he nodded.

"Roger that. Lion, any more marks?" I asked, waiting in silence for Oliver's answer.

"The room across the hall. Looks like that's where the last of them are holed up. But be careful, I think they have civilians held hostage," he informed us. Y/n thanked him as he looked at me. Nodding, we breached the room and we're met with a lot more guns than Oliver let on. I cursed, keeping my ground as I dove behind cover.

Y/n didn't. Stupid, stupid Y/n. He knew what danger the hostages we're in.

I peeked over, shooting a few of the terrorists into cover. It still wasn't enough.

I watched as Y/n put himself between the civilians and the terrorists. I didn't realize what he was doing until I saw the pin drop. The terrorists paused, unsure of what to actually do. A mistake that later cost them their lives. Y/n was buying time. He was giving the civilians a chance to leave.

"Get them out of here. I'll be right behind you, okay?" He told me, flashing me a bright smile. But I saw the look in his eyes. He knew he wasn't coming back. And so I listened to him.

And he died alone. He died alone and a hero.

×××

I stared at the sky above me, unable to tell if the twinkling and fading stars was real or from the blood loss. I could care less. They were beautiful tonight. I could see Y/n's favorite constellation.

I could hear voices around me, but I couldn't care to keep fighting. I was tired. I was old. I wasn't a hero. Not like Y/n was. Besides, I was tired of wandering around without him here. I didn't know what to do with myself.

"Dominic."

I heard a familiar voice ring out. My eyes widened as I searched with unsteady, unseeing eyes. I thought I saw him. Maybe it was just the fact I was dying. I didn't know.

But I leaned for him anyways. I longed to feel his touch again. To hear his voice, smell his familiar cologne.

We danced together that night, under the endless starry night. We felt no pain anymore. Our soul was pieced back together and in the end, the love was worth the risk.

××