The Coffee Plant

"So you were both in school the whole time you were in Fritz?" The interviewer asked picking up the thread.

"Yeah I was at college at San Jose and Lindsey finished his last year of high school and then he started college too and we rehearse like almost every night then i'd go home and study from 10:30 till about 2,3 and we'd play a gig on Fridays and i'd have all sunday to study. And we did that for about 4 years."

1969
"Shit, Linds i've forgotten my stage clothes!" Stevie exclaimed in panic as she rooted around in her bag sitting Shotgun in Lindsey's car that was bombing down the freeway.
"It's okay we'll go back and get them." Lindsey said calming signalling to turn off on the next slip road so they could go back to Stevie's apartment.
"But we'll be late," Stevie started worriedly.
"Well actually, you know since you're always late?" Lindsey started nervously, "I told you i'd pick you up half an hour before we really needed to leave, so we've got time." He finished and smirked a little.
"Lindsey!" She shouted and hit him but not very hard then sighed with an annoyed look on her face.

"Hey given the circumstances you should be thanking me!" He shouted back but only teasing
"You wanna open for Janis Joplin in your holey sweater?"
He looked over at her smirking and watched her hair blowing in the California breeze as they drove with the windows down and led zeppelin playing.
"Don't be such a smart ass." She replied but smiled for the first time that day.

"What's the matter Steves?" He asked, she was still a goddamn mystery to him but he knew something was wrong, she was much too quiet, by now she would've cranked up the car radio and be singing full pelt and pointing at him to sing certain lines that she could harmonize with.

"It was just a rough day, i got this essay back that i worked really hard on and the professor said i basically missed the point completely, plus i haven't eaten anything all day so i'm famished."

"Want me to beat him up for you?" Lindsey asked very seriously and Stevie snorted.
Once she'd calmed down from laughing so hard at the thought of Lindsey beating anyone up, she touched his hand on the gearstick affectionately.

"Thank you Linds, i needed that," she said still chuckling.

"Hey i was serious, can't have some balding phd jerkoff upsetting my gi- favourite singer." He almost slipped up and said my girl but stopped himself just in time. Where did that come from? He thought She's not mine, she's got a boyfriend and more importantly i've got a girlfriend.

She burst out laughing again and catching her breath asked "Am i really your favourite singer?"

"Yes." He answered looking at her so she knew he meant it then quickly turned his eyes back to the road.

"Well that's about the nicest thing you've ever said to me Lindsey Buckingham." She replied blushing but taking the compliment.

"Hey are you really that hungry?" He asked.

"Starving." She said tiredly.

"Go in the glove box, there's some sandwiches, i didn't think you could mess sandwiches up until i tried making them, but if you're hungry you might not notice how bad they are."

"At this point i'd eat your arm and it would be fine, are you sure? don't you need these yourself for later?"

"No i had dinner already, they were just incase." He said and she dug in taking a bite hungrily.

"You're full of surprises, you know that?" She said gazing at him intently between gigantic bites.

"What?" He asked raising his eyebrows at her in a confused expression.