Snow covered hills

The next day Stevie called into all her jobs to say she wouldn't be picking up any shifts for a few weeks. She needed time, and after taking the money that she kept for emergencies out of the bank she packed her things and got on a greyhound bus.

"My sweet girl," Barbara said pulling Stevie into her arms in surprise when she found her standing in the doorway.
"Honey i can feel all of your bones." She said fearfully, "Get inside now, i'm making you breakfast." And before she could say anything Barbara had picked up her bag and was pulling her inside towards the kitchen.

Stevie sat at the kitchen table quietly finishing off her second helping of breakfast that Barbara had insisted upon. She hadn't said a word yet and Barbara hadn't pushed her, she knew something was really wrong but she was willing to wait to find out.

When Stevie got up to put her plate in the sink, Barbara took her hand gently.
"What's the matter baby?" She asked searching Stevie's face lovingly.
"Mommy." Stevie sobbed and flung herself into Barbara's arms finally breaking down. She had sat up all night on the bus that had brought her home to Arizona and she was bursting with an overwhelming exhaustion.

Barbara's heart broke seeing her little girl so upset. She stroked her cheek and hugged her tightly to her. "Oh honey, what is it? You can talk to me baby, i'm always here." Barbara said soothing her daughter.

Stevie sniffled and decided to tell her the truth even though she was so ashamed of herself.

"I, I had an affair." She stuttered.

"What?" She said very gently, not angry or disapproving, just surprised.

"Lindsey and i have been fighting so much and he kept screaming at me that he knew i was cheating on him. That i was a whore. I just couldn't take it anymore and i went out to get drunk after he embarrassed me in front of all of our friends. I got really really drunk, and ended up sleeping with one of our friends. He was so kind to me. I missed that." She finished and started crying again.

"Oh baby," Barbara said and held Stevie once more, thinking it was so sad that it had come to this.

"I went back to the apartment the next day and Lindsey had found out, people had seen me out and told him and he said all of these awful things to me, then left. Said he was going on the road with the Everly Brothers for 6 weeks and just left. I don't know what to do. I don't know if we're over and I don't know how to get in contact with him while he's gone."

Barbara was at a loss for words. Usually she could find the advice Stevie desperately needed to hear but this was completely out of her range of expertise.

"You can work it all out when he comes back, maybe you both need some time apart. This could be good for you." Barbara reassured her.

"I guess," Stevie answered looking at her mother sadly. "Can i stay here for a little while." She asked.

"Of course you can sweet girl, you know you never have to ask, this will always be your home if you want it." Barbara said fiercely a little upset that Stevie would even ask. They had been so close ever since Stevie was born and Barbara had been lost without her. But she wanted her to follow her dreams and so supported her absolutely, even if it meant that she never got to see her.

"Daddy'll be so excited you're here." She said suddenly and Stevie smiled at the thought of seeing her father.
"Why don't you go lie out by the pool honey and i'll work on some snacks to fatten you up." Her mother said pinching her cheek and smiling.

After falling asleep in the sun for a few hours Stevie felt refreshed and at peace, her mother was right she thought i'll deal with it when he comes back, if we love each other enough, it'll be okay.