I mean it - part I

Present Day

"After recovering from your heart attack you went straight back to work, tell me about what was happening around the time of the seventh album because it has been described as your most conflicted." The interviewer asked.

"Well it kind of was..." Stevie trailed off looking to Lindsey.

1998

"Mommy?" Robin called quietly into her parents bedroom. Stevie had taken to spending a lot of time in bed in the afternoon writing while Lindsey did his daily workouts and played golf, she'd unequivocally banned him from spending too much time alone in the studio and had only agreed to make another album on the pretence that they were together for the recording of the entire album so she could make sure he didn't work too hard.

"Yes angel?" Stevie replied looking up over her glasses at Robin lingering in the doorway and putting her journal down to beckon her over.
"How was your final baby?" Stevie asked gently as Robin silently crawled into bed with her and closed her eyes, resting her head on Stevie's pillow. Stevie wriggled down until she was eye level with Robin.

"It wasn't very good." Robin whispered, sighing but not opening her eyes.

"You can only do your best baby, it might be better than you think and even if it's not i know you've worked so hard and we're proud of you no matter what."

"Really?" Robin said slowly opening her eyes that glistened with tears, threatening to spill over like a dam about burst.

"Of course." Stevie whispered resolutely, hating seeing her daughter so upset.

"I love you." Robin whispered a single tear running down her cheek as she leaned forward and kissed her mother, Stevie wrapped her arms around her, softly pulling her closer as Robin silently sobbed into her shoulder.

"Shh shh, i love you my sweet girl, please don't cry baby, this isn't worth your tears." Stevie soothed as she rubbed her back.

Robin pulled away a little and looked into Stevie's eyes in incredible pain.
"I'm pregnant." She whispered.

Stevie's breath caught in her throat as her eyes clouded over in confusion. Pregnant. Did she just say pregnant?

Stevie stared at her daughter registering the utter fear in Robin's eyes as she waited for Stevie's reaction.

"What did you just say?" Stevie finally spoke in disbelief, desperate for her hearing to have been wrong.

"I'm pregnant." Robin repeated in the same small voice almost afraid to say it too loud, tears still streaming down her beautiful face.

"Oh baby," Stevie sighed and hugged her tighter, kissing her hair and cheeks until she calmed down.

"Are you ready to talk now?" Stevie asked as Robin sniffled and wiped her eyes, nodding.

"I'm having him, it's too late not too, Matt asked me to marry him and i said yes." Robin blurted out all at once.

"Wow..." Was all Stevie could manage as she sat up in the bed putting her hand to her forehead.
A million thoughts raced through her mind as she tried to take in everything she had just learnt. After several agonising minutes for Robin, Stevie turned and took her hands in her own.

"Listen, if this is really what you want, i'll support you." Stevie said looking her in the eye willing her to explain.

"It is. I want this baby more than anything. I've had a lot of time to think about it and i know it's going to be hard but this is all i've ever really wanted, to be a mom." Robin said seriously.