Chapter 8: Attention

Chapter 8
~~•°•~~

Present day...☠

***

Madelyn...☠

We slowly made our way down the stairs as my grey marble crocs made gentle taps connecting with the floor drawing the attention of the duo making little chats in the living room.

"Oh my girl" My mom waited for me to step down from the last step and slowly reach her before she drew me into her embrace breaking down and letting the traitor tears flow. Justin hasn't said anything to me since the incident in my room. Even when he came to get me he just stood and waited for me to take the lead and honestly I was dying inside. He shook his father's hand pulling him into a little father-son hug before pulling away.

My mother let go wiping her tears with a content smile. I was in baggy grey sweats with an overly large sized grey sweatshirt. It was comfy. Justin was in black sweat pants with a loose black T-shirt. Mr Wryte hugged me as well. He was close to a father figure after I lost my dad.

My mom and I weren't so close anymore when she in fact didn't believe me. I locked myself away when no one believed Justin could be capable of doing such a thing to me and his friend Caleb. Yes Caleb. I guess they really stuck together because he knew. He knew his friend was lying yet he covered up for him. They said it was the shock and that it could happen to anyone. It still hits a nerve every time I think about it. We lived under the same roof but everyone hardly saw me. And soon I'd be heading off to college.

Since the incident I home schooled. So Yh all my remaining years of middle school and some portions of high school I stayed home confining myself to the four corners of my room. Even my certificate was delivered to me at home. I was still top from kindergarten through to my high school graduation

I was snapped out of my daze when my mum gently held my hand and led us to the dinning table. His house was large but not larger than his father's or ours. Just perfect for a couple. Wait did I say couple?...

I was slowly sat onto a seat next to my mom on my left. Justin at the head of the table and his dad right in front of me. It seemed he gained some new found respect from his father I'd never seen was there. Maybe because he was now a man and demanded it. He still didn't spare me a glance even when the food was served at the table. I'd never seen the woman serving the food before. Oh hell! I've only been here for a day and half. I couldn't bury the jealousy that another woman was feeding my Juju.

"So sweetie how did your appointment go?" Mostly Justin would do me the honors of answering but this time he said nothing. Like he didn't even hear the question and it hurt that he was ignoring anything that had to do with me. I just brushed it off despite the ache and parted my lips just to stutter and be speechless. God this was so embarrassing. Today I looked like shit with all the crying and I didn't put on make up to cover anything. Looking at my mother's worried face I said what was on my mind.

"You people don't believe me and direct me straight to an old woman who can do nothing better than butt into the lives of innocent people. So you asked how was it?... It was what I expected. Betrayal of my own family!"

My mom was utterly speechless and I went back to eating my meal silently with Justin still not paying any attention to me.

"I believe you honey. It's the worst thing that could ever happen to a good child like you but honey you also need to understand where we are coming from. Justin... He's been like family since you were born. He took my place when I wasn't around. He couldn't possibly do such a thing but I'm not taking sides. Whatever thing he did... wrong or right he always told us and he's still taking good care of you now. Now sweetie tell me are we at fault?"