Chapter 19: Hospital

"Lizzie just try to stay calm okay? You're going to be fine." I say trying to call her down. All she does is nod and that's good for now.

I pick her up sideways and carry her to the house so I can check her ankle and see if it's broken. As I am approaching the doorway I laugh to myself.

"What's so funny?" She asks and I look down at her raising her eyebrow at me.

"Sorry, but it's like we just got married and I am carrying you through the threshold after the wedding. It's just funny." I say and giggle again.

"Y/n normally I would find that funny but I'm in a lot of pain right now. Please just get me to the couch!" She pleads and I snap out of my silliness.

"Right. Sorry, Lizzie. Um here," I say and put her down on the couch slowly. I grab a pillow and gently grab her leg, lifting it upward and stuffing a pillow under it.

"Ow ow ow!" She yells and I start to panic.

"I'm sorry! You need to put it up! I am just trying to help!" I spit out and her face drops.

"No, I'm sorry. It just really hurts. I know you are trying to help." She says as her eyes focus on her ankle. "Do you think it's broken?" She asks.

"I'm not sure. It looks pretty bad. I think we should go to the hospital." I say and pace back and forth in front of her. I start mumbling out loud trying to come up with a plan.

A few seconds later she grabs my arm and pulls me down onto the couch beside her. She doesn't say a word but stares into my eyes holding her gaze.

"Y/n, I think you are the one who needs to calm down now. How far is the hospital from here?" She asks and I look away trying to think.

"I'm pretty sure it's about an hour and a half drive. We should leave now so we can be back before it gets dark."

"Ok. Well, we should go now then."

I sit on the couch staring at her for what seemed like forever but was only about a minute.

"Y/n! That means let's go now!" She says harshly scaring me a little bit. I stand up and speed walk to the door grabbing my keys off of the hook at the front entrance. I open the door and walk out getting halfway down the stairs.

"Uh, y/n... aren't you forgetting something?" Lizzie yells to me and my mouth drops. I quickly run back inside to see Lizzie giggling to herself as I awkwardly run back to get her.

"Oops," I say as I pick her up and make my way back to the door. I get her into the truck and make sure she is comfortable before I get ready for the long drive.

"Are you ok back there?" I ask Lizzie who is laying across the back seats with her foot propped up.

"Yes, I'm good thank you." She responds and I nod before starting the car and backing out of the driveway.

As we are driving it is pretty quiet before one of us decides to speak.

"You are such goof you know?" She says and I look in my rearview mirror to see her blushing and staring at me.

"What do you mean by that?" I respond, unsure of her statement.

"It's not a bad thing!" She defends. "I just meant you seem pretty clumsy, and silly. Like when you forgot me when you knew you had to bring me to the hospital. I just find it funny, that's all." She says and I hum.

"I'm mean, I guess you are right. I never thought about that before."

"You are really funny too." She points out and smiles.

"Wow, you should be in pain more often. You are being nice right now." I say somewhat jokingly.

"Oh shut up. I'm always nice! And besides, you are my only way to the hospital right now."

I laugh and continue driving. We have small conversations on and off during the car ride and finally arrive at the hospital. I grab a wheelchair for Lizzie and bring it back to the car so she doesn't have to walk and I don't have to carry her. I push her to the front and they x-ray her ankle while I wait outside.

Once they are finished we have to wait for a while to get the results so we sit in the waiting room patiently. Out of nowhere, Lizzie grabs my hand and holds it in hers as she rests her head on my shoulder. Right away my stomach fills with butterflies just as it does every time I am near her.

We stay in that position until the doctor calls her into a room to get her results.

"Elizabeth Olsen?" I woman calls and I help Lizzie back into the wheelchair to push her into the room. Once we are in there I sit down in a chair in the corner of the room and listen to what the doctor is saying to Lizzie.

"Ok so after looking at the x-ray results, it looks like your ankle is fractured so we are going to have to put a boot cast on you for a couple of weeks." She says and Lizzie and I both look at each other before looking back at the doctor.

"Ok. How long do you think I will have to wear it for?" Lizzie asks and I listen for the answer, wondering the same thing.

"Well we will start with 4 weeks and do a checkup after that to see how it's doing but it may be up to 8 weeks depending on how well it heals." The doctor states and Lizzie sighs looking disappointed.

"Ok thank you," Lizzie says and forces a smile.

"I will be right back and get you the cast to wear. Excuse me." The doctor says and walks out of the room.

"4-6 weeks!" Lizzie complains and I don't blame her.

"I'm sorry Lizzie. That's shitty. What's going to happen with your filming. Don't you start again in a couple of days?" I ask.

"Yep. And I don't know what I am going to tell them because I'm not sure if I can film like this. You know, with the big cast on my foot." She replies and I nod my head.

"I'm sure you can work something out," I say right before the doctor walks back in.

"Ok! So I got this cast for you to wear for the next couple of weeks. Let's just put it on you right now and then we can get you a pair of crutches too. I want you to stay off of your foot as much as you can okay?" The doctor asks and Lizzie nods instead of replying with words.

I can tell Lizzie is trying not to cry as the doctor messes around with her foot trying to get the cast on so I stand up and walk over to her. I grab her hand and she looks up at me with her teary eyes locking onto mine. I smile trying to provide her with some comfort and I think that distracted her long enough because, by the time I looked away, the doctor was done.

"All set!" She doctor says and smiles. "So I will see you back in a couple of weeks to see how you are doing. And remember, STAY OFF THAT FOOT!" She reiterates.

"Don't worry doc. I'll make sure she does," I joke and wink at Lizzie.

"I told you you are a goof." She says and looks down at her new cast. She sighs and keeps her eyes focused on the new piece of her that she will have for a while.

"Lizzie, it's going to be fine. Don't worry." I say and let go of her hand so that I can open the door. "Let's go back to the farm okay?" I say and she grabs her crutches and limps her way down the hall with me.

We get back in the car and she sits in the front seat this time, now that she can bend her knee without the pain reaching her ankle.

Lizzie falls asleep as we are driving back to the farm and I let her rest, knowing she's had a stressful day. I feel really bad that she hurt herself. Especially when it was because of a dumb hole in the garden. I need to fill that in so it doesn't happen again.

I play some soft music to keep myself occupied until we get home and tap my non-driving foot to the beat of the music. It's a quiet and peaceful drive and it reminds me how nice silence can be sometimes...
———————————————————————————
Poor Lizzie!!

I'm honour of Scarlett's birthday I decided to post an extra chapter today for all of you :)

I hope you liked this chapter!