Chapter 21: A Visitor?

I step in the car after helping Lizzie get in the passenger seat and I buckle in. I turn the key and hear the engine ignite loudly. Putting the car into the drive I release my foot off the brake and apply it onto the gas pedal.

I get on the country road that takes us to the coffee shop and play some music quietly just in case Lizzie doesn't like it. We're driving in silence for a while before she finally speaks.

"Y/n," she says with a long pause. I patiently wait for her to continue but she doesn't. I decide to say something since she isn't going to anymore.

"Yes, Lizzie?"

"Uh, never mind. It's nothing." She says and I raise my eyebrows in confusion.

"Is everything okay? You know you can talk to me right?" I say truthfully.

"Yeah, I know. It's not important. Don't worry, I'm good," she says and I just drop it. I don't want to pressure her to talk about something if she doesn't want to. Maybe she will come around and say it later, who knows.

We get to the coffee shop and I'm still wondering what she was going to say. It was so random and I have no idea what it could be about.

I open the door for her and we walk inside stepping up to the front counter.

"After you," I say and motion for her to order first.

"Uh ok. I will get a small coffee and a cherry donut please," she says to the worker taking our order. Lizzie steps out of the way so I can order too.

"I will get the usual please, a medium coffee and a croissant," I say and look through my wallet for my credit card to pay. Before I can find it, Lizzie has already jumped in front of me and paid for it herself.

"Awe Lizzie. I was going to buy breakfast for you. I was going to be nice and treat you this morning," I say disappointed.

"You can get next time. This is a thank you for taking care of me yesterday," she says and turns around to go get a seat. I watch as she awkwardly walks to the table while dragging her cast on the ground as she walks. It's pretty funny to watch actually. And when she gets stuck, she scrunches her face and groans but it is super cute. God, everything she does is cute, or funny, or beautiful and I could go on and on.

The man behind the counter hands me the food and drinks so I take them over to the table and sit down opposite Lizzie. I unwrap my croissant and take a sip of my coffee. I watch as Lizzie does the same with her donut, taking extremely small bites.

"Why are you barely taking bites out of your donut?" I ask and laugh at her actions.

"I'm savouring it. Cherry donuts are my favourite. Same with chocolate. I love all kinds of chocolate and crave it one hundred percent of the time," she states and I hymn in thought. Good to know.

"Ahh, I see," I respond and continue to eat my croissant and drink my coffee. Once I am finished I throw out my garbage and Lizzie's too. I sit for a moment and enjoy being in my favourite public place while Lizzie gathers her things.

We walk to the car and I see her trip over a rock with her cast so I rush over to her and grab on making sure she doesn't fall. She looks at me confused and I realize why. She wasn't going to fall at all.

"Oops. Sorry," I say letting go of her.

"Someone is protective of me now. I wonder why?" She says with a smirk.

"Oh shut up," I respond. "I don't want you to get hurt on my watch again."

"Relax I'm just joking," she says and hops in the car. Again I turn the key and put the car into drive taking my foot off the gas. Off we go again.