Chapter Fourteen

"Shampoo, Sam? Really? I could have died."

"Well, from what I witnessed earlier, you could have died happy," Sam said as he got up and walked to the bathroom for what he came for since his brother was fine.

"Dean, I must go. My siblings are calling; they need my assistance." That's how Cass disappeared. He would have to talk to that angel about human etiquette. "Where is Cass?" Sam asked when he left the bathroom.

"Family emergency," Dean said as he went to look for his wallet. If he couldn't get off, he had to at least have something to eat—pie, to be precise.

When Dean went out for food, he bought the newspaper to see if he could find any cases. He bought a burger and pie and went to his room. As he looked through the newspaper, he saw a case. It was about three guys who were perfectly healthy and died of a heart attack.

Sam and Dean went to check it out the next day. After talking to the sheriff, Dean and Sam set out to find the doctor who performed an autopsy. They found out the men were perfectly healthy, and there was no sign their hearts had a problem.

That's when everything got weird. Dean started becoming scared of everything, like overspeeding and height—I mean, everything terrified the guy. Sam called Bobby and asked him for help. After Bobby's investigation, they found out it was ghost sickness, and Dean had been infected. They only had 24 hours before Dean died again.

"Seriously, dude, I had almost forgotten what it was like having your life on the line. Awesome. This is just awesome," Dean said as he chugged a bottle of beer. Alcohol was bae at this point.

Sam left Dean in the motel so he could do some more digging on who the ghost was. Dean was left reading about ghost sickness; that's when the hallucinations started. The words in the book kept saying, "You are going to die again, loser." But what got him was when the words started spelling out Castiel's name and saying he was already dead.

Dean's heart nearly stopped. "Cass, Cass!" he called out—or at least he thought he did. He was hallucinating, after all, but it felt so real. The pain of losing Cass was ripping him to shreds. This felt worse than hell, and to be clear, hell was pretty terrible. Dean just lay on the carpet; he wanted to take his phone and call his brother, but at this point, it was like the ghost sickness was working overtime. He couldn't move. In that moment, Dean was the very definition of being paralyzed with fear.