Chapter Twenty Seven

"I'm ready to talk." Dean barged into Sam's bedroom. Sam was reading a book when Dean came in. "Me too. I am sorry, Dean."

"Don't bullshit me, Sam. I know you are not. If you were, you wouldn't have ever pulled that crap in the first place. I also know you like him as much as I do. He is something special, and I cannot lose him." Dean looked at Sam, somehow defeated yet he understood why. He knew what had to be done; he didn't like it, though.

"Sam, Dean?" Cass called out. "We are in here," Sam answered. Cass came in and knew almost immediately that they must have been talking about him.

"How about we go camping for the night? We could hike the beautiful hills." Cass suggested. Dean grunted, but Sam was excited. It's safe to say if you like bacon and double cheeseburgers every day of the week, there is no way you will enjoy hiking. Sam, on the other hand, loved green juice and runs in the morning; walking up the hill would be a piece of cake for him. They packed their gear and headed out.

"This is nice; I've missed nature. It's so serene." "Huh, coming from a guy whose home is heaven, it's an actual compliment, but I don't know if it says much about heaven either," Sam chipped in.

"Well, if it's any consolation, anything is better than hell," Dean said. He never talked about his time in hell; honestly, those memories still made his skin crawl. He tried not to think about what he did down there too much, how he had given up. Sam would be so disappointed in him, not to mention Cass. He knew he had to tell them; he just wasn't ready, and he didn't think he would ever be.

"We can camp here. I love it here; it's near the river." Cass said as he put his things down. He loved rivers; they were so peaceful yet destructive. They pitched the tents, then Cass went to the river. He knew he needed to have a serious talk with them, and sitting by the river would help him calm down. He didn't want to expect too much from them and appear greedy or, worse, selfish. He just needed both of them; he didn't know why or how, he just knew he needed them. He was glad that the Winchester brothers respected his privacy and let him be for a few hours before Sam called him for supper.

"Did you kill a baby deer?" Cass asked. "No, I'm not a monster; it was male and injured. I put the poor thing out of its misery."

"Thanks for the dinner, Sam. It was amazing." Cass said as he laid down on the grass and looked up at the sky. "Do you miss being up there?" Sam asked as he lay next to him.

"Sometimes. My brothers and sisters are up there; it's home," Cass answered as he reached out to touch Sam's hand. He had an oddly soft hand for a hunter.

"Well, you are family now, Cass. We are your home now," Dean said as he lay on the other side of Cass. Cass reached out and grabbed him too. "I want you both. I can't choose; I just can't." Cass said. "Way to shoot straight, Cass," Dean said as he let out an almost shaky breath.

"What do you mean 'shoot straight'? I don't have a gun." Sam laughed at that. Cass still didn't understand how men talked; it was fun to watch him decipher metaphors.