*8*

-Third Person POV-
-Location: Rock Tower Ruin-

Cale froze. This is the first time Cale cannot answer a question given to him. He looks at the child in front of him while thinking up all the possible answers on how to explain it to her. Eve was looking at Cale while tilting her head, wondering what's wrong. She thought maybe Cale doesn't want to answer, so she just asked Choi Han.

“Is there something wrong, mister? Should Eve just ask Choi Han-nim wha-"

(A/N - Is any of you Korean? Am I using -nim correctly? Btw, did you know how many times Grammarly corrected Cale to Cake? I need to save his name in the dictionary to avoid it.)

Eve was cut off by Cale as he looked panicked at the mention of Choi Han name. Cale doesn't want Choi Han to know about this. He's afraid Choi Han will beat him up for letting Eve hear such a word.  He thought up the only possible answer for Eve that she won't even question.

“It's a bad word. If you hear someone say it, don't do the same. It's bad to say the word"

It's a simple answer but Eve understands perfectly that she's not allowed to say that word. Anyway back to Cale, he was relieved that Eve isn't questioning why it's a bad word.

He could see people praying all around the area.

At that moment, Hans stealthily approached Cale and whispered to him.

“I just saw the eldest son of Marquis Stan’s household.”

“...How do you know about that person?”

Cale was truly surprised. Hans smiled before pointing to his eyes.

‘Is that his name? The one in the wheelchair? Wait...what's a wheelchair?'

“Pretty much any information about the nobles is in my head. I could see a man being pushed into a wheelchair. It was weird that there was only one person with him, but I was able to see that there was a red snake crest on the wheelchair.”

“Hans.”

“Yes, sir.”

“You’re better than you look.”

“Thank you?”

Hans shrugged his shoulders with a satisfied expression as he finished his report. He then asked Cale.

“What do you plan on doing?”

Cale could feel the left side of his face heating up and looked in that direction. Choi Han was looking at him. Cale shook his head and answered both of them.

“Ignore them.”

Both of them nodded their heads without saying anything else. Only then did their tour officially start. After looking around, Cale was shocked at the appearance of the rock towers in the ruins.

“They are ...”

Cale seemed to be in disbelief.

“Uglier than I had expected.”

Cale could not understand the ancient sense of style. He was expecting piles of rocks, but there were rock towers of all kinds of shapes in the ruins.

They looked interesting. However, they were not beautiful. Cale peeked at the kittens in Hans’s arms. They seemed to be extremely disappointed as well.
He could see people praying all around the area.

However, there was someone who seemed to be more serious than Cale expected. Choi Han had his head bowed like the other people who were praying and seemed to be praying as well.

‘I’m sure he’s praying to return to Korea.’

Choi Han had grown up in a happy family environment. He was a different kind of person than Cale, Kim Rok Soo. Choi Han had grown up in a happy family with positive influences. That was why he was able to survive in a disastrous situation while remaining a good person.

Cale was staring at Choi Han when Choi Han lifted his head and made eye contact with him.

“Cale-nim.”

“What?”

“I have a question and something to report.”

Cale had a bad feeling about this.

“Start with your question.”

Choi Han seemed to be thinking about something, as he looked toward the rock towers standing in this wide plain and started to speak.

“Cale-nim, are you not going to make a wish?”

‘Is that what he wants to know?’

Cale just casually answered.

“I don’t do things like making wishes.”

“Can I make a wish, mister?"

“Do whatever you want."

“Why not?”

“It makes you have higher expectations.”

Choi Han, Eve,  Hans, and even the kittens all turned to look at Cale. Cale looked at the rock towers like Choi Han had done and slowly continued to speak.

“It’s so much easier to live without high expectations.”

It feels great if you scratch a lottery ticket hoping for $1 and end up winning $5, but if you scratch it hoping to win the grand prize and only end up with $5, you are bound to get annoyed.

Tap. Cale turned his gaze after feeling the tap on his shoulder, only to see deputy butler Hans smiling and starting to speak.

“You are right, young master. There is no such thing as dreams or hope in this world.”

“...Just stop talking.”

“Yes, sir!”

Hans responded loudly but seemed to be a bit disappointed as well, as he took the lead with the kittens. Cale leisurely followed behind Hans, when Choi Han quickly approached him and whispered in a voice that Hans could not hear. Eve looked between Cale and the rock tower, thinking of her wish. She went in front of the rock tower and put her hand together.

‘Eve wish that Eve can stay with Cale-nim forever...'

Choi Han had not given his report yet.

“The dragon has entered the city.”

-To be continued

-To be continued...-

(A/N - Hey guys! I apologize if there's not much Eve involvement in this chapter. I was trying to get all the important parts from the novel out of the way first.)