Chapter 1 - The Affairs of Adviser Wu

These days, something seemed to be up with Adviser Wu Xingzi of the magistrate's office.

Every other day, he would hire Old Liu's cart and head to Goose City, which was half a day away. He would not stay for too long either, and was always ready to head home again before Old Liu was even halfway done smoking his pipe.

Old Liu did not mind at first, since he could earn a little more money if someone was willing to hire his cart. Winter was coming, and having more money could only be beneficial.

But more than ten days had passed like this, and Old Liu was starting to get concerned. He was worried that Wu Xingzi might have fallen for some scam.

After all, everyone in Qingcheng County knew Wu Xingzi. He lived alone in poverty, working in the magistrate's office as an adviser for the past twenty-odd years. He was about to turn forty, but there was no sign of any companion by his side to care for him.

No matter how Old Liu pondered over it, it seemed as though Wu Xingzi had been cheated of his money. As for why he did not consider the possibility that Wu Xingzi might have been cheated of his love and body... Ugh, how embarrassing it would be for a man if he failed to last for at least a quarter of an hour!

In the beginning, Old Liu had only mentioned the issue in passing to his wife. Who would have guessed that the matter would become known to half the county in less than a couple of days?

Qingcheng County was really too small, and also too boring.

Therefore, when Wu Xingzi came to look for Old Liu again one day, he was stopped by Auntie Liu.

"Xingzi," she called out, her eyes reddening before she could continue. Alarmed, Wu Xingzi became flustered.

"What happened, auntie? Did someone anger you? Would you like me to write an indictment for you?" This was not the first time his neighbours had come crying to his door looking for help. Having been an adviser for over half his life, Wu Xingzi could practically write indictments in his sleep by now.

"Xingzi..." Auntie Liu started crying for real. Wu Xingzi raised both his hands in bewilderment, and threw a pleading look at Old Liu, who was brushing the back of his cow by the side.

Old Liu returned Wu Xingzi's gaze before turning to look at his wife. Shaking his head, he heaved a soft sigh.

This matter seemed quite serious! Wu Xingzi hurriedly recalled the various incidents that happened over the past few days in the county.

A few days ago, the Wang family and the Shi family had been arguing in the magistrate's office due to their children secretly pledging themselves to each other. After much difficulties, they finally settled on the bride price and the dowry, and both families then cheerfully started discussing the wedding banquet.

The grandchild of the An family had stole some persimmons off the persimmon tree that was growing beyond the walls of the Xu family's courtyard. When the An family discovered that the child had been shoved around by the Xu family, they then brought the case to the magistrate's office. The indictment was also written by Wu Xingzi, but in less than the time an incense stick took to burn, the county magistrate had dealt with the matter, and both families then cheerfully left to eat persimmons together.

Sister Li and Old Wang had some minor land disputes, Widow Zhou and her eldest daughter-in-law had some disagreements, Li San owed the head of his clan 3 silver ingots and refused to pay it back and instead wanted to mortgage it with his life... Wu Xingzi recalled many incidents, but he could not remember any that had to do with the Liu family.