Chapter 65 - The Long Journey to The Capital

On this side, the General’s estate was in chaos due to the General vomiting three litres of blood, while on another side, Wu Xingzi, who had been on his way to the capital for some time already, finally felt at ease, and even had the mood to pull up the curtains of the carriage and look around.

Rancui had originally said that they would be leaving together, but at the last moment, he suddenly said that he could only leave two days later. It was an easy matter to catch up with them on a horse, so they arranged to meet in a little city called Lishui four days later.

Wu Xingzi had been on this very path a few times already, and the scenery was fairly much the same. However, perhaps because his mood was different, the scenery this time was so much more brilliant and enchanting than the previous times. The rays of the sun were like gold, scattering its light across the gravel, the grass, the trees and the brook.

“Wow, sister, take a look. There’s a field of flowers over there, what flower is that?” Osmanthus was also seated by the window, pointing at the colourful scene dancing in the wind.

“Hmm…” Mint and Osmanthus shared similar knowledge, and she naturally did not recognise the flowers as well. After all, they rarely saw such delicate and pretty things in Bastion City.

“Those should be irises,” Wu Xingzi answered, turning to look at them.

Hearing that, the two girls looked at Wu Xingzi with worshipful eyes. They listened to him explain gently, “In The Classic of Herbal Medicine, it says: The iris is bitter and balanced. It mainly treats gu toxins and evil qi, demonic influx and various toxins. It breaks concretions and conglomerations, accumulations and gatherings, removes water, and precipitates the three kinds of worms. It grows in mountains and valleys.1 For a place like this with no mountains or valleys, someone must have planted them intentionally.”

“Master, you know everything!” Mint’s eyes shone brightly, almost about to treat Wu Xingzi like a god.

“It’s only something that I read when I was younger, and didn’t forget.” Wu Xingzi smiled. Inside his bag were a few books that his father had left behind, and one of them was The Classic of Herbal Medicine. There was only an old physician back in their hometown, and so his father had always dealt with any of their small ailments and pains himself.

It was now March, and the spring weather was perfect. The temperature down south turned warmer earlier compared to the rest of the country, the warm breeze drifting past their skin, leaving behind a pleasant heat.

Hei’er drove the carriage steadily. In the carriage, Wu Xingzi and the two girls only felt a slight swaying, and it was not uncomfortable at all. Along with the spring wind, drowsiness descended upon them.

Unknowingly, Wu Xingzi closed his eyes and fell asleep.

Osmanthus carefully covered him with a cloak. After exchanging a look with her sister, the joy on her little fair face swiftly faded away.

They were a little apprehensive. Although they did not face any obstruction or trouble when leaving and their departure was unbelievably successful, when they thought about how they would be dealt with when the General finally found them, chills ran down their spines. Unable to control themselves, they shuddered.