Chapter 49 - That Peach Forest, Once Upon A Time

This time, Guan Shanjin was away for quite a number of days. Wu Xingzi could not put into words how he felt, but he kept feeling an emptiness within his heart. Even gardening and rearing his chickens did not improve his mood.

Seven days had passed, and Wu Xingzi could not even summon up the enthusiasm to visit the Peng Society. Dully, he finished his breakfast, and just like always, tidied up his garden plots, cleaned up his chicken coop and stared at the round, plump hen in a daze. His fixed gaze made the hen cluck non-stop, fleeing for a place to hide.

“Master.” Calling him back was Mint’s sweet and crisp voice. Lifting up her skirt, the girl sprinted towards him from outside, her eyes shining with delight.

Wu Xingzi could not help but smile. Whether it was Mint or Osmanthus, if he did not have these two girls around, his days would be so boring!

“What happened?” Wu Xingzi patted Mint’s head. The girl was still gasping for breath as she held her hand out towards him as though she was presenting a treasure.

Clutched in that little, fair hand was a branch of peach blossoms.

Wu Xingzi’s smile stiffened, and he looked at Mint in astonishment. “This is… a peach blossom? I thought there weren’t any peach trees in Bastion City?”

“There didn’t used to be, but I asked my aunt, and found out that the Zhu family had planted a few peach trees in their courtyard. They came into bloom this year!”

Mint explained that the Zhu family was a local aristocratic family of Bastion City. Unlike the Yue family who were merchants, they were one of the rare scholarly families here. From their previous few generations, they had produced officials who held positions in the capital. The current head of the family too originally had a position there as well, but later retired to his hometown. This was the reason why they had such a refined leisurely interest in planting peach trees.

These peach trees had been transported from nearby counties, and the Zhu family really had to be admired for managing to cultivate them. There were no buds to even be seen during the past two years, but now, the branches were laden with blossoms.

“Master, didn’t you keep smelling the scent of peach blossoms the past few days? It should have come from the Zhu family. The Zhu Manor is only one household away from the General’s Estate.” Mint cautiously handed the branch over to Wu Xingzi, speaking earnestly, “Master, I know that you most definitely are homesick, so on your behalf, I asked them for a branch of the peach tree. Let’s plant it in the General’s Estate as well!”

How could she and her sister not register their master’s abnormality these days? Previously, Wu Xingzi had always been tranquil and carefree. It never mattered to him whether the general came to see him or not, and he spent his days with relish. However, ever since that meal with the young lady of the Yue family, their master had changed. A sadness could always vaguely be seen between his brows, and he would periodically rub his chest. His gaze was always like a thousand yard stare, living as though he was in a fugue.

This made the two girls scold Miss Yue countless times internally, and they were extremely anxious! After that, with some prompting from Hei’er, they found out that the Zhu family had planted peach trees. Osmanthus recalled that earlier, Wu Xingzi had asked a few times if there were any peach trees in the General’s Estate, and so guessed that their master probably liked these flowers. Perhaps, after seeing them, he might feel a little better?