Chapter 12 - The Great South Garrison General Part 2

Edited By: DancingdolphinsYo

With a swift horse, it would take about fifteen days to travel from Bastion City to Goose City, but Guan Shanjin made it in nine days.

Travel-worn, they reached Goose City, and asked for three luxury rooms in the city’s biggest inn. After washing off the dust of the journey and taking a meal, Guan Shanjin wanted to directly look for the Peng Society, but was persuaded not to do so by the subordinates who accompanied him. They said that those were the instructions of Vice General Man, who hoped that the general would only go to the Peng Society to look for trouble after a good rest and a refreshed mind.

Knowing that Vice General Man and his subordinates were only thinking of him, Guan Shanjin did not trouble them, and really returned to the room to sleep. He completely did not know that his four subordinates did not have a good rest the entire night due to their anxiety, worried that he would sneak out in the middle of the night to make a fuss. The next morning, all four of them had bags under their eyes.

Goose City was a bustling place, and unlike Bastion City, had not gone through the chaos of the war that took place five years ago. Although Bastion City had been recovering during the last five years, as it had once been utterly damaged, its progress was not rapid, and so it was far behind from Goose City in terms of peace and prosperity. The citizens were also unlike that of Bastion City’s, who somewhat had a slight murderous air to them. The citizens of Goose City were like quails, gentle, soft and silly.

Having stayed by the border for so long, Guan Shanjin took awhile to acclimatise to this. He first strolled around the city streets before reaching Goose City’s most prosperous street, then led his subordinates and headed straight for the antique shop that was used as a cover for the Peng Society.

This place made him think of the capital.

Whether it was the furnishings or the atmosphere, they were all sumptuous but not ostentatious, extremely delicate but vibrant. Although it was a store meant as a disguise,  there were really quite many valuable items available. There were clusters of customers around the place, and from their clothes and temperament, they were definitely from some of the most wealthy and influential families of Goose City.

“Hello, may I ask if you’re looking for anything?” A salesman welcomed them in. He was pleasant looking, and his smile was a little uncouth yet not dislikable.

This Dong Shucheng was really good at training his people.

“I just want to take a look, don’t stand there and be an eyesore.” Guan Shanjin waved him off. Although he had ulterior motives, he suddenly remembered that Man Yue had not told him the catchphrase to gain entry into the Peng Society. This guy’s guts had really grown quite a bit, but it was also because he was in such a hurry that he forgot about it.

Thinking that this was really a customer here to look at the antiques, the salesman apologised and retreated.

Just as he was thinking about how to get the catchphrase from Man Yue, he heard a clear, gentle and soft voice that felt like a spring breeze in March behind him.

“I’m looking for a jade pagoda from the Han Dynasty.”

The salesman asked, “What type of Han jade pagoda would you like, mister?”

That voice was laced with a little uneasiness, and said softly, “O-one that Dong Xian used to play with.”

“Dong Xian?” The salesman smiled. “Sir, I’m afraid that I’m not too familiar with such an item. Would you like to speak to our manager yourself, at the back of our store?”