Chapter 99 - Someone Is Vomiting Blood

Later on, as for what happened between the rich man and the second Li son, Wu Xingzi did not concern himself with it. He handed the written indictment over to Xia Dageng, then introduced him to a very capable retired lawyer in Goose City. They won their case against the rich man, getting dozens of taels as compensation. Wu Xingzi then found a way to pass this matter to the rich man’s wife. Very quickly, the rich man soon packed up and left Qingcheng County, and it was not known how his wife dealt with him.

With a fortune falling out from the sky, as well as being able to vent his grievance, Xia Dageng was naturally very thankful to Wu Xingzi. He pounded his chest, declaring that he would be willing to do anything for him. As long as Wu Xingzi made a request, he would never refuse it.

Smiling, Wu Xingzi accepted the gratitude, but he had never thought about wanting to get anything out of Xia Dageng. He believed that as the adviser of Qingcheng County, it was expected that having spent his days relying on the kindness of the people, he would of course settle any troubles for them. Xia Dageng was very grateful, but he had also made use of Xia Dageng as well, so he felt that Xia Dageng need not be so thankful towards him.

However, unexpectedly, after twenty years, he would still need to seek a favour from him.

Man Yue consoled him. Since Xia Dageng did not forget his kindness from twenty years ago, it could be said that this was an opportunity for him to pay back the favour owed.

With the tea done and the story over, the plate of osmanthus cake was also emptied.

Man Yue again secretly sent Wu Xingzi back to Rancui’s residence, telling him that when Xia Dageng arrived, they would again return to the Lord Protector’s estate and settle the issue of this troublesome Bai Shaochang.

As it had to do with the safety of their master, the people of the Lord Protector’s estate dared not be lax about it at all. It was expected that Xia Dageng would need at least four or five days before he could reach the capital, but who would have thought that early in the morning of the fourth day, before Wu Xingzi had even woken up, Man Yue had come knocking on his door.

When Wu Xingzi was called awake, he received such a fright that he nearly rolled off his bed. Dazedly, he stared at the gleaming white teeth and bright eyes of Man Yue, the only things that could be seen in the dark.

“Mr. Wu, Xia Dageng has already arrived. Shall I take you to the Lord Protector’s estate?”

“He’s here already?” Wu Xingzi rubbed his eyes. A burden weighing on his heart finally settled, and he hurriedly grabbed the robe next to his bed, pulling it on. Without washing his face, he urged Man Yue, “Quick, quickly bring me there. Ai, who knows how much hardship Haiwang has experienced over the past few days. We need to hurry up and get him out of there.”

Man Yue fully agreed. However, it was not that he was worried about Guan Shanjin experiencing hardships, but that he did not want to continue to see Yan Wenxin living a carefree life.