Chapter 79 - Rubbing the Belly

Wu Xingzi slept all the way until past noon. Only when he woke up, did Ping Yifan ask someone to bring the food in.

Sure enough, the vegetarian dishes of Chongxu Guan were worthy of their reputation. Altogether, there were three dishes, one soup, as well as a basket of steamed dumplings. The food was fried with canola oil, the taste crisp and not the slightest bit heavy. On the table were stir-fried tomatoes, tofu meatballs, fried bean sprouts, and a bowl of lotus leaf soup. It was unknown what sort of stock was used to prepare the soup, its flavour rich yet refreshing. There was no bitter taste of vegetables within, and the fragrance of lotus flowers lingered after drinking it.

Wu Xingzi had long been famished. His head was buried in his bowl, as he shovelled his food into his mouth, and his chopsticks did not stop picking up food for even a single moment. Well prepared vegetarian dishes would not leave an oily, greasy feeling around the mouth when done with the meal. One would only feel comfortable and pleased, satiated without feeling full to the point of discomfort. Wu Xingzi’s appetite had always been huge, and this time, he enjoyed himself to the fullest.

Ping Yifan did not have as good an appetite as him, but looking at how much the person in front of him was enjoying his food, he could not help having an extra bowl of rice. Finally, there was not even gravy left on the plates, as it had been poured all over Wu Xingzi’s rice to be eaten up.

“Shall I help you rub your belly?” Ping Yifan’s smiling face glowed. He had already placed his hand on the belly of the old fellow who was sprawling lazily across the bamboo mat, gently rubbing at it.

“Thank you, thank you…” Wu Xingzi’s eyes were half-lidded. Because of this intimate action, the tips of his ears were tinged with a slight pink. However, he did not stop Ping Yifan.

Naturally, rubbing the belly alone was not enough to help in digestion, and so Ping Yifan suggested that he bring Wu Xingzi on a stroll around the temple. At this timing, most of the priests and other devotees would be resting in their rooms. The sun was beating down so heavily that their skin felt as though it was being scorched, but Wu Xingzi did not pay any attention to the heat at all, following Ping Yifan excitedly as they explored the whole of the temple.

Chongxu Guan covered a broad expanse of area. Despite there being some wings and ritual areas where guests were not allowed to go near, they still needed nearly two hours to finish walking through the grounds.

Back in the guest room, a large bowl of icy sour plum soup was already prepared on the table. After drinking a bowl, coolness washed down their bodies from head to toe, and Wu Xingzi shuddered, exclaiming over how good it felt.

“Let’s return to the capital.” Ping Yifan still looked very refined when drinking the sour plum soup, taking a quarter of an hour to finish it. He then took his handkerchief out, wiping his mouth with it. Wu Xingzi was completely captivated by this good looking man in front of him, and no matter what Ping Yifan said, he would smile and nod along.

When they left, Ping Yifan did not take him down Qianyun Stairs. Instead, his carriage had taken the private path up the back of the mountain, and was waiting at the back door. Before leaving the temple, a little disciple ran up to them, carrying a food basket as he called out, “This is a small gift from my shifu, may you accept it.”