Chapter 16 - The General Wants to Stay

Edited by: DancingdolphinsYo

Something major happened recently in Qingcheng County — Adviser Wu of the magistrate’s office seemed to have found a life partner.

“Aiyah, there’s something all of you don’t know about. Don’t look at Adviser Wu’s honest face, his methods are out of the ordinary.” Due to having some free time, Auntie Li grabbed a chair and sat outside her door, chattering with her neighbours.

“What do you mean?” Ah Niu’s wife was still a girl aged fifteen or sixteen. As she helped her mother-in-law strip the maize, she could not help but ask curiously.

“Hah! Although Adviser Wu is a friendly person, you should know what he’s like!” Auntie Li clicked her tongue a couple of times, a look of scorn on her face.

“Adviser Wu is rather clean.” Ah Niu’s wife was young and so after she said this, her thigh was slapped by her mother-in-law. “Niang1…” Full of grievances, her tears nearly fell.

“Shh! What do you know? Looking like that, how can Adviser Wu compare to anyone?” Her mother-in-law shot her a warning look and turned to echo Auntie Li, “Who knows how he managed to attract that god-like person? He must have used some shameful method.”

“That’s right! You’re completely right!” The few aunties all agreed with each other.

With such support, Auntie Li became even more pleased. She raised her chin, “The heavens really have eyes! A few days ago, my boy woke up early to go to the mountain and happened to come across Adviser Wu and that god-like man! Aiyah, it was so embarrassing! The god-like man had wanted to leave, but Adviser Wu stopped him and refused to let him go, kneeling and begging. The god-like man was too kind and had no other choice faced with his pleading, and so he stayed.”

“I really couldn’t tell that Adviser Wu was actually this shameless!” Fang had a look of loathing on her face. “To think that Adviser Wu is actually a scholar. He didn’t look for a woman and live his life properly, instead chasing after a man all day long. Could it be that he has been running to Goose City all this while to harass this god-like man?”

“Who says it isn’t!” Ah Niu’s mother was deep in thought. “Didn’t the Liu family just mention a few days ago about how Adviser Wu was obsessed with making friends through the pigeon express? Hah! How do you make friends without seeing the other person? No way! He must have done something shameless and so managed to cling onto the god-like man.”

“But Adviser Wu is such a nice person…” The little daughter-in-law wanted to speak up for the adviser, only to get smacked again by her mother-in-law. Being glared at, she did not dare to speak again and lowered her head to do her work dejectedly.

“Auntie Li, what is the background of that god-like man? How was Adviser Wu able to kneel and beg to deceive him into staying?”

“Hah! Let me tell you, this god-like man is really extraordinary. Apparently he moved here from the capital and hasn’t been in Goose City for too long. With a good family and a good career, he’s young and promising! The Emperor treats this man like no other. When the god-like man was going to leave the capital, the Emperor even personally sent him off for ten miles!” Auntie Li was very detailed, as though she had witnessed it herself. That yearning and sighing on her face made the other women all sigh along with her.