Chapter 38 - This New Year is Rough

Wu Xingzi was crying very sorrowfully, and Guan Shanjin did not know how to coax him. He had never coaxed anyone before in his life. Mr. Lu was introverted, and he never revealed much of his emotions in front of Guan Shanjin. Guan Shanjin was good at pampering and taking care of people, and the only moments his past lovers cried were mostly when he was leaving them. At that time, no matter how upset they were, those tears were unable to create even a ripple in his heart.

However, Wu Xingzi was different. The spot on Guan Shanjin’s chest, wet with tears, burnt as though it was on fire. The heat left his heart aching, left him feeling guilty, left him feeling depressed. He was angry that a few dead pieces of paper ranked higher in Wu Xingzi’s heart than him, a living thing, but he too regretted his rash actions.

He had thought that the old man had a gentle temperament, and had neither desires nor demands. He thought that Wu Xingzi would probably feel down for a period of time after losing a few of his pengornis drawings, but he would not be too upset. Who would have thought that he had guessed wrongly?

“Don’t cry anymore… It’s my fault, I’ve gone overboard…” Guan Shanjin repeated this sentence, consoling Wu Xingzi and apologising. However, Wu Xingzi ignored him. Although the sounds of crying had stopped, tears still flowed down his face.

“Let me go.” A hoarse, tearful voice came muffled from his arms. Guan Shanjin froze, wanting to reject his request. However, due to his little hesitation, he ended up letting go.

Having gained his freedom, Wu Xingzi immediately avoided him, standing far away. He turned his head around, wiping away the smear of tears on his face with his sleeve. Other than the redness of his nose and eyes, he had a deathlike pallor.

“On the tenth day of the New Year… I won’t be returning with you to Bastion City anymore.”

“Hmm?” Guan Shanjin’s face darkened, and his hand, hiddened in his sleeve, clenched tightly. However, worried that he would scare the old man, he tried his best to control his expression, though it still looked as cold and sharp like an ice statue.

“I won’t be going to Bastion City anymore.” Wu Xingzi exhaled, his voice still a little hoarse from crying. “I want to stay at home. I’ve seen the world outside already, and it’s enough for me.”

“What about your cucumbers?” Out of nowhere, Guan Shanjin asked. Wu Xingzi was stunned momentarily, foolishly looking towards him. While still sniffling, a big snot bubble came out from his nose. Instantly, he blushed red with shame. His will that he had mustered up with great effort vanished in a flash, and flustered, Wu Xingzi lifted up his sleeve to hide his face.

Guan Shanjin instead stood up and carried a basin of water, wringing out a wet cotton cloth and handed it to Wu Xingzi to wipe his face.

“Thank you, thank you…” Wu Xingzi accepted the cotton cloth, reproaching himself internally for not being able to stand his ground. Yet, he was secretly a little delighted, and he thought himself to be too useless.

Wu Xingzi! Think about your innocent pengornises that lost their lives!

His eyes fell onto the torn remnants of the drawings on the table, and Wu Xingzi immediately pulled himself together. Sparing no effort to put on a stern face, he carefully wiped his face clean. Only when he was sure that he would not produce another snot bubble did he then stare at the wet patch on Guan Shanjin’s chest left by his tears. “I’ve said it before, all I want to be is a frog in the well. Mint and Osmanthus will watch over the cucumbers, and once they are harvested, you can eat some, they’ll be very sweet.”