Chapter 55 - Rancui Gains A Loyal Puppy

Rancui did not miss out on Wu Xingzi’s mumblings. He lifted his teacup, hiding a small smile behind it. A plan formed rapidly in his head, but none of it was revealed on his face. Instead, he gently persuaded Wu Xingzi, “If you’re starting to become homesick, why don’t you mention it to the general? Three days later, Mr. Lu will be getting married, and the general should be free then. It’s probably likely that he will be willing to take you back to Qingcheng County.”

“Oh?” Wu Xingzi looked hesitant. He was now reluctant to interact with Guan Shanjin too often, afraid that his own feelings would develop further. However, unconsciously, he started to recall the day when the two of them had left his hometown after celebrating the Chinese New Year, and how they had agreed that they would return together to pay respects to the tombs of his ancestors.

His gloomy feelings dredging up old memories, Wu Xingzi remembered how both his father and Guan Shanjin had said that he was indifferent by nature, never fighting for anything, and was someone who always reconciled himself to his circumstances. These words were too complimentary for him.

He went with the flow, only wanting to live a calm and peaceful life, but it was only because he understood how he had no qualifications to fight for anything with anyone.

If they talked about his talents, he was already sixteen when he became the top scholar in his village. His father had achieved this at the young age of twelve, and even in the entire Great Xia dynasty, his father would be considered an astonishing genius. Although it was not sure why he did not continue to attempt the higher examinations, his father was still extremely talented as a teacher.

As for his looks, what could even be mentioned? Wu Xingzi could only be said to look ordinary, and that all his features were present, with nothing missing.

If it was his family background, throughout the county, they all said that he was a jinx who would live alone forever. His life was so ill-fated, that the deaths of his parents were because of his accursedeness, and he was not able to keep anyone by his side… Wasn’t it so?! If Yan Wenxin had not gone to the capital for the imperial examinations then, but had chosen to spend their lives together, who knew if he would still be alive now?

With everything laid out like this, how could Wu Xingzi have the confidence to fight with others? Of course, when it came to something he could fight for, he would definitely do so! They only had to look at that grave plot of his, did he not fight for that?

Recalling that grave, Wu Xingzi’s mood improved greatly. He then thought about the pengornis drawings that he had tucked away. Recently, he had collected about seven or eight new drawings, but he did not dare bring them back, instead he asked Rancui to help hold on to them for him. Amongst them was the Pan An1 of pengornises, so very straight and thick. Wu Xingzi was not sure if it was specially instructed by Rancui, but this drawing was even coloured, a pinkish-tone shining through its fairness, like a precious stone gleaming in the light.

Ah, it’s truly good looking! It just loses to Guan Shanjin’s by a little bit.

Wu Xingzi had never wallowed in self-pity for too long. Time still carried on, and there was no point in thinking too much about things that had already been done. He might as well try to make his days pass a little happier.