Chapter 54 - Are We Still Giving This Gift?

These days, it was as though Guan Shanjin ate nothing but gunpowder, ready to explode with the flick of a spark. Although he would not vent his anger on others, none of the people close to him were able to spend these days comfortably.

It was about another two weeks to Mr. Lu’s marriage. No one could fathom what Guan Shanjin was thinking. After going to the Yue’s manor to see Mr. Lu, he expressed that it would still be the General’s Estate in charge of managing the marriage, then brought Mr. Lu back home.

Wangshu Residence became lively once again, as though everything had returned to their original status. The one Guan Shanjin was longing for was still Mr. Lu, and the Mr. Wu in Shuanghe Yard was once again tossed to the back of his mind.

As expected, a substitute could never compare to the original. Having stolen a few days of cherishing and pampering, at the end of the day, they all had to be returned.

In this entire matter, it was Miss Yue who was the most unhappy. However, she understood that although she liked Mr. Lu, for her father and brother, Mr. Lu without the support of the general was basically a fish eye pretending to be a pearl.

To let Mr. Lu not feel as bad, Miss Yue could only swallow her upset down by herself. Bitterly, she sent her fiancé away, and spent every day anticipating the day of her wedding.

When Wu Xingzi learnt about Mr. Lu’s return to the General’s estate from the two maidservants, he only smiled placidly.

Even if his heart was filled with agony, what could he do about it? It was him who had mentioned to Guan Shanjin about bringing Mr. Lu back. No matter whether he sincerely meant it, or if he only wanted to test him, Guan Shanjin had given him a response.

With Mr. Lu back in the household, a mere substitute like him was hardly necessary anymore.

Indeed, this time, Guan Shanjin had taken away all the attention that he once lavished on Wu Xingzi with him, and never visited him daily again. Although he was not barred from having his own little stove, the vegetables, meat, rice and noodles distributed to him were a lot lesser than before. The intention was to make Wu Xingzi go to collect his portion of food straight from the main kitchen itself.

This should be how it was originally. In the entire General’s estate, food had always been prepared in the main kitchen directly. Even Mr. Lu himself had never been allowed to have his own kitchen.

Hei’er did not appear again either. However, Wu Xingzi did manage to catch sight of him following Man Yue, hurrying and rushing past him on horseback along the main road of the city.

As for how Wu Xingzi managed to see him? That was simple. Guan Shanjin no longer bothered about him, and Wu Xingzi was free to do whatever he wanted. As such, these days, he had often dropped by the Peng Society, seeking Rancui out for tea. After all, in Bastion City, it was only Rancui whom he was familiar with.

Today, Wu Xingzi once again visited the Peng Society. Rancui was dressed in an elegant robe, and was seated within a pavilion made of bamboo. In front of him was a qin, and he was plucking a melody from it.

This pavilion was simple, yet exquisite, like something out of a dream.

A low table by the side had a lit incense burner, its scent faint yet lovely. Wu Xingzi did not know what scent it was, but he liked it very much. It was very well matched with Rancui’s playing of the qin.