Chapter 78 - Forever and Eternal Peace

The curtain of the carriage lifted, revealing the face of a refined and handsome middle-aged man, a small beard adding a touch of dignity to him.

“What’s your courtesy name?” The thin, refined and handsome looking man asked gently.

“Ah, I don’t have one. Us villagers don’t care about such matters…” The eighteen year-old Wu Xingzi hung his head. It was unclear whether the tips of his ears were reddening from shyness or distress.

“Then, shall I give you one?”

“Uhh… H-how can I trouble you so?”

“Hmm… Why don’t we go with Chang’an? Your father named you Xingzi, and he definitely wished that you would live a safe and sound life forever1, right?” The man smiled, and his eyes, directed towards Wu Xingzi, were filled with tenderness.

“Chang’an…” Wu Xingzi nodded with a blush, but was a little hesitant. “Many thanks to you for thinking of it for me, but I’m afraid that this courtesy name would not be in much use.” In a village like this, as well as him being an adviser now, other than the few elders he was close with who would use his name, the rest of the people would all address him as Adviser.

Speaking of which, he also did not have any friends from the same generation who were close enough to use his courtesy name, and the only elders who would address him by his name were probably only Auntie and Uncle Liu.

“It doesn’t matter, I’d like to call you with this name.” As the man spoke, he gently picked up the strands of hair by Wu Xingzi’s cheek, tucking them behind his ear. “Chang’an… Forever and eternal peace.”

“Mr. Wu?” A familiar, pleasant voice, accompanied by the speaker’s breath, brushed past his ear. Wu Xingzi shuddered, pulling himself out from his memories, turning his head and looking at Ping Yifan with a look of abstraction in his eyes.

“Ai…”

“Does Mr. Wu know Lord Yan?” Ping Yifan seemed a little troubled. Hearing the question, Wu Xingzi immediately shook his head.

“No no no, I’m only a poor man from a small village, how could I know an official from the capital?” Wu Xingzi did not know how uneasy his expression looked. Unconsciously, he dug his fingernails into his palms. All these tiny details did not escape Ping Yifan’s eyes, but he did not expose him.

“Mr. Wu is too courteous.” Going along with him, Ping Yifan held his hand. “Lord Yan is the Minister of Personnel, and he’s greatly trusted by the emperor. In the capital, he has a fair bit of power, and most of the officials more or less would show him some respect. It’s better if we don’t offend him accidentally. Let’s just go around them.”

“Ah, yes, yes. You’re right, you’re right.” Wu Xingzi was convinced. Part of his attention was still on his past memories of Yan Wenxin, but most of his focus had been shifted to the hand that was holding tightly onto his.