Chapter 103 - Visiting A Prisoner In Jail

Not too long after Huaixiu was sent to jail, Yan Wenxin too offered his resignation, stating that his virtue was lacking and he wanted to retire and return to his hometown. He did not miss out on anything he should say or do, and he did express a very remorseful attitude.

The ministers of the court too made their moves. Some presented memorials to the Emperor, seeking an investigation into whether or not Yan Wenxin had been involved, while others presented memorials to offer themselves as a guarantor for Yan Wenxin. At that moment, the scent of gunpowder permeated the court, yet the Emperor never said a word. He even rejected Yan Wenxin’s resignation, only putting him on house arrest for a month.

As for Huaixiu’s crime of betraying the country, the evidence was irrefutable. After being cross-examined, he was sentenced to death by dismemberment. For now, he would continue remaining in jail, waiting to be executed after the new year.

At home, Yan Caijun would basically be washing her face with tears every day. She did not know how Huaixiu had ended up in cahoots with the southern barbarians, and he had even managed to conceal it from her father? She was even more bewildered by how her father did not give Huaixiu any aid at all.

She wanted to visit Huaixiu in jail. However, the cells that kept prisoners waiting to be executed were not allowed visitors. Even items that were sent in would be unpacked and examined. Seeing that the weather was getting colder, Yan Caijun worried that Huaixiu would be freezing. She sent two jackets, only for them to be torn apart and examined thoroughly in front of her. This angered the young girl so greatly that she cried all the way home.

During this period, Yan Wenxin remained quiet and bided his time. He did not use any of his power and abilities to declare his innocence, but allowed things to proceed as they were in court. At the same time, he also felt out what the Emperor was thinking.

It had to be known that betraying the country was a great sin, and all nine generations of the criminal’s family would not be able to continue living. But now, the Emperor was clearly biased. Other than Huaixiu, the Emperor had no intentions of making a move against the Yan family. The house arrest did not hurt him at all, and even when the Lord Protector had presented many memorials requesting for a strict investigation, the Emperor only gave a few words of sympathy, glossing over the matter entirely. The Lord Protector was furious to the point of calling in sick from his duties and he did not attend court for seven or eight days.

Guan Shanjin had suffered in jail, and according to some, it took him over a dozen days to recover. Now, he followed the footsteps of his father, calling in sick as well. It was evident that they were extremely disappointed in the Emperor.

Yan Wenxin looked through the various information provided by spies, then looked at the porcelain cups placed on the table with the fragrance of tea wafting from them. The Emperor had commanded Eunuch Chun to deliver the tea leaves over, along with a few types of snacks. These gifts were clearly for pacifying. Yan Wenxin could not help but smile. In this crisis, it could be said that he came out completely unscathed and was removed from the entire situation. Although he had lost Huaixiu without anyone to replace him, and he had no choice but to temporarily deal with the southern barbarians by himself, the road that had already been built was not obstructed in the least. He was still able to go his merry way.