Chapter 85 - Advisor Wu Toughens Up

Rain occurred over the next few days. Each time it rained, the weather dropped a few more degrees. Summer in the capital was about to end, and the autumn breeze gradually arrived along with the rain.

Unconsciously, Wu Xingzi had been in the capital for over two months already. He often went on short trips with Ping Yifan, and they had explored all the famous sights and attractions around the capital.

Today was a rare day that Ping Yifan had not invited him out. Wu Xingzi allowed himself to laze about for half a day, only getting up from the bed when it was close to noon. Pulling a slightly thicker robe around himself, he sat by the window, resting his chin on his hand as he admired the rain.

Lunch was quickly served, four dishes with two being vegetarian and the other two meat. They were accompanied by a bowl of vegetable and tofu soup. After setting the table, Mint called out, “Master, quick, come and have your lunch. You didn’t have any breakfast, you must be extremely hungry.”

Wu Xingzi agreed, but he did not move. He was a rare picture of laziness, and in his hand was a teacup. The originally steaming tea had already turned cold, yet less than half a cup had been drunk.

Osmanthus waited for some time, but still did not see him coming to the table. Walking over to him, she urged, “Master, there are fresh lotus roots today, and jiejie has made fried lotus root. Take a sniff, don’t they smell good?”

“It does smell pretty good. Mint’s culinary skills have improved again,” Wu Xingzi praised with a smile. Only then did he stand up from his chair.

“Isn’t that so? Master has recently often been eating outside with Ping-gongzi. There are so many great chefs in the capital, if we don’t improve our skills, how can we be worthy of working for Master?” Mint covered her smile, the teasing in her voice causing Wu Xingzi to scratch his nose embarrassedly.

“Girls, come and have lunch together,” Wu Xingzi said, feeling a little apologetic. Ever since he met Ping Yifan, he had been neglecting the two girls at home. Ping Yifan liked bringing him out on trips. Once they became more familiar with each other, he would often come by and pick him up early in the morning, only sending him home past 7pm.

Only after staring out into the courtyard for quite some time did Wu Xingzi then notice that the two girls had created a small plot for gardening, building a rack and planting eggplants.

Mint and Osmanthus naturally would not actually share a table with their master. Standing by the side, they would occasionally dish out more food for Wu Xingzi, chattering away as they spoke with him. While doing so, they shared all the rumours they had heard in the capital.

“Master, do you know of a court official named Yan Wenxin?” Speaking of Yan Wenxin, Mint’s face flushed red. Her smile vanished, and her cheeks puffed in anger.

“Yan Wenxin?” Wu Xingzi was startled, nearly dropping the fried lotus root between his chopsticks. “Isn’t he the current Minister of State Affairs?”