Chapter 73 - The Tree of Jianmu: The Bridge Between Heaven and Earth

Separated by a wall, the view between the two places contrasted starkly.

Outside Lianxiang Residences was a hubbub of voices. The men and women of Great Xia were not conservative. For most daughters of ordinary families, as long as they were not alone, and called upon other friends as well as a maidservant, they could stroll along the streets as they wished. When there were fairs and celebrations going on, the rooms of restaurants and tea houses would be filled with young, blossoming girls. Upon seeing young males on the streets, or in a room of another restaurant across, they would then toss some snacks, flowers and other trinkets, exchanging flirtations from a distance before each returning home separately.

Although the girls of the capital were slightly more reserved, many of them were still young and passionate.

Now that there were so many noble men gathered at Lianxiang Residences, the fair outside naturally attracted large crowds of curious young ladies as well, all trying their best to peek inside. Hearing that Young Master Bai had accepted the invitation to the gathering this time, they were all determined to hang around outside the venue to listen to him playing the qin!

In comparison, it was serene within Lianxiang Residences itself. Not many invitees had attended, and there were only about twenty in all. Other than Young Master Bai with his excellent qin-playing skills, there were also a few scholars of literary fame.

The fragrance of the lotus flowers accompanied the breeze, and the pleasing sounds of the flute lingered in the air.

Wu Xingzi did not drink even a sip of wine, yet he was already intoxicated.

The pavilion where Rancui could be found was rather remote, but its location was perfect for capturing a view of the entire Lianxiang Residences. When Wu Xingzi stepped within, the banquet had already started. The first dish had been served and done, and the participants were drinking as they waited for the second dish.

“Mr. Wu.” Today, Rancui was dressed in a snow white gown, his outer robe made of a green, gauzy material. Very casually, he sat with his legs crossed on a cushion, his cheeks slightly flushed. Looking very much like a lotus flower sprite, he was both enchanting and elegant, charming yet reserved.

“Rancui.” Wu Xingzi cupped his hands together, then sat down across the low table. The footboy next to them immediately served up the first dish, and it was a bowl of clear soup.

The colour of the soup was gold, and at the bottom of the bowl were delicate lotus petals. A couple of snow white, exquisite looking dumplings floated on top of the soup, and they seemed to be made of glutinous rice. Plump and white, there was a faint pink sheen to them, and their appearance made one unable to bear eating them.

“These are dumplings made from lotus root paste. Mr. Wu, please try them,” Rancui attended to him warmly, but his sly, shrewd eyes darted over to the silent Hei’er who was standing in one corner of the pavilion, before he frowned disdainfully. “Commander Hei, take a seat too. It’s quite nauseating to have you stand there like that.”