Chapter 98 - Adviser Wu's Short Story

Meeting Bai Shaochang again after a span of a few months, Wu Xingzi inexplicably felt that life was truly variable.

The place where Bai Shaochang was confined was right within the Lord Protector’s estate. The interrogation was being held secretly, and the ministers presiding over Guan Shanjin’s case did not know about this interrogation at all. It was the Emperor, Guan Shanjin, and the Emperor’s other subjects who were working together to lay a trap for Yan Wenxin, attempting to see if they were able to get any useful evidence from Bai Shaochang’s lips.

As Guan Shanjin’s right-hand man, this important responsibility naturally fell upon Man Yue’s shoulders. His accomplishment was fairly decent as well, as he had at least managed to force Bai Shaochang to admit that the evidence he had planted was all fabricated. Unfortunately, although Bai Shaochang was of a refined, elegant nature, he was very stubborn. His face had been frightened pale a number of times during the interrogation, but still, despite trembling in fear, he still insisted on his previous testimony, refusing to change it.

Man Yue truly had no more tricks up his sleeve, and that was why he had turned his eyes towards Wu Xingzi. Unlike his big boss, he did not see the need to shelter and protect Mr. Wu like how Guan Shanjin did. In his eyes, for Wu Xingzi to be able to survive twenty years in the magistrate’s office, he definitely had an extraordinary finesse and temperament.

With a path available and yet not choosing to take it, one would be labelled as a fool. Man Yue was unwilling to waste too much time, just in case more difficulties were to crop up later. If everything were to fail at the very last minute, what were they going to do? With his current method, at the most, when Guan Shanjin was out of jail, Man Yue would immediately return to Bastion City and hide.

The two people entered the Lord Protector’s estate through a secret passageway. The people Yan Wenxin had assigned to watch over Wu Xingzi did not notice that anything was wrong at all, and they thought that just like usual, Wu Xingzi was quietly hiding in Rancui’s place and spending his days there.

Bai Shaochang was staying in Changyou Yard, located in the west part of the Lord Protector’s estate. After the incident had occurred, he remained living there. Although his movements were watched, and he was not allowed to leave the estate, everything else still seemed the same.

It seemed like Yan Wenxin had no worries about Bai Shaochang. Man Yue and Guan Shanjin’s personal guards had secretly examined all the people living in the compound a number of times, but they had never found any of Yan Wenxin’s spies. The secret guards too had reported that there were no spies from the Yan family estate.

How carefree. He was basically looking down on Guan Shanjin. Man Yue was angered into sneering.

He understood, this meant that Yan Wenxin had a firm grip on Bai Shaochang and he pretty much was not afraid that things would go beyond his expectations here. However, it was also Yan Wenxin’s negligence that allowed Man Yue to find out the weakest link.

“It’s safe in the Lord Protector’s estate. You can just hide outside the window and sneak a few looks. Once you’ve noticed that something is wrong, just go ahead and let me know.” Man Yue led Wu Xingzi outside of the bedroom where Bai Shaochang was confined. At this timing, Young Master Bai was usually seated in front of the qin in a daze. It had been many days since he had played the qin.