17

It's almost four days later and right now dad and Diego has all of us training in the gym.

Yes, they have a gym. Which is surprising considering the size of this place. Is there a chance they have a bar hidden somewhere?

I need to ask Messiah.

I think we're friends. I've also learned many things about him: his dad is Mexican and his mom his black, he got his curly hair from his mom, too. He met my dad after getting jumped by these gang members who he was working for, trying to get his mom medicine because she was sick; she had cancer.

I used past tense because he explained that she died because of it and that dad was with him every step of the way.

I almost started bawling my eyes out as he told me. But, from what I gather, she was a exciting, and admirable mom.

His dad on the other hand was an ass. He's also dead.

And Messiah's only 23. He's not that old and it makes it easier to talk to him since we're not the far apart in age.

Speaking of dad, he told all of us that we would be going back to school very soon because he doesn't want us to miss anymore days.

I tried to explain to him how school was basically pointless but he wouldn't budge, he was very consistent.

But then I remembered how I haven't seen Eden or Sam in ages, and Elliot. I wonder how he's doing—

My thoughts cut off as a punch is thrown my way. I turn, missing the punch by an inch.

Alec whistles, "I almost got you there, you okay?" I scoff.

"Please," I get back in my fighting stance, "and yes, I'm great, you?" I ask.

It's better to catch your targets off guard, one of those ways being to distract them someway.

I use it often, and God, does it work magic.

He opens his mouth to reply and I use that distraction to punch him in the gut, making him stagger back. I don't waste another second before I throw another punch in his face.

He groans and put his hand to his jaw, rubbing it.

"Why my face?" he whines and I laugh with a grin.

"Come on, hit me already." he gives me an unsure look and I roll my eyes. "Don't tell me you're scared,"

It's his turn to laugh and not soon after he comes at me. Hitting me in my ribs repeatedly. I practically eat those punches.

When he raises his hand to throw another I put my arm up, blocking his punch.

We seem to go back and forth throwing and blocking punches until Diego comes up to us.

"If you are done getting your ass beat then come downstairs to eat, Alec. Come and eat also, Aurelia!" we stop and look at Diego as he walks out the door.

I glance around us and realize that everyone's already gone. I sigh in relief as I unwrap my hands, cracking my knuckles and shaking my hands.

I see Alec doing the same, struggling with his left hand. I walk up to him, taking his hand in mine.

He looks up with a small thankful smile.

"Having quite the struggle, yeah?" I let out a small laugh. He shakes his head.

"We're not going to talk about it," he tries to blow it off.

It's silent while I unwrap his hand, he stares at me as I do. When I finish he lets out a breath and stands up, slightly towering over me.