26

Elliot's POV:

As I close the door and turn around, I let out a huge sigh of relief.

It's the first time that I will be coming home and not worrying if Joseph would be here waiting for me. It's the first time in a long time that I could anything freely in my home.

As I walk through the clean house, I remember the tough times I had while living with Joseph. There was never a good time. I mean, sure he would be "nice" for a while, but that never lasted long.

I remember when mom first left us. I had come back from school with the biggest smile on my face; I aced my spelling test, and I was eager to tell mom about it.

Around that time, Joseph and I...weren't that close but we tolerated each other for mom.

Mom and Joseph were arguing a lot, but at the moment I didn't think much of it because it happened often. I went up to them and practically shoved the test in their faces, making sure they saw the big fat A on the paper.

Mom was happy for me, Joseph didn't really care. He didn't congratulate me or anything. I didn't care because I only cared about Mom's opinion.

We went to bed that night like any other: eat, bathe, and go to sleep. Mom came in my room and told me goodnight and kissed me all over my face, Joseph didn't. I didn't care though.

I went to bed thinking that everything would be okay, thinking that I would wake up and everything would be normal. I didn't know that I would wake up in the middle of the night only to see my mom with her bags ready, reaching for the door handle quietly.

"Mom?" I rubbed my eyes. "What are you doing?"

She turned around and her face showed...regret?

"Go back to sleep, honey. Everything will be okay." she said quietly. I don't think she wanted to wake Joseph up.

I looked over her and saw big suitcases that mom only used for traveling. I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Are we going to Hawaii like you promised?" I asked cheerfully. Mom always said she was going to take me. "Wait, mom. Let me back my bags first. Is Joseph coming?" I had so many questions, I was so excited.

"No, sweetie. Mom's...leaving, okay?" She said as she stepped closer. "But she'll be right back. I promise I'll be right back." She kisses my forehead for the third time tonight.

"Okay..." I trailed, "I love you." I motioned to my heart and back to her. Mom says it our secret language.

"I love you, too. I really do."

She lied.

If she loved me she would've stayed. She wouldn't have left me to fend for myself.

Though, I don't know if I can really blame her. She saw freedom from the man who constantly beat her and she took it. But, why didn't she take me? I'll never know.

She saw a chance to get away from Joseph and never turn back, and she took it. She left. She left me.

And sometimes I think about what could've been. I think about what my life could've been if she took me with her that night. I wonder if she thinks about me. If she knows that I made it through without running.

I made it through because of myself and Aurelia.

So I'm also glad she didn't take me with her because I wouldn't have met Aurelia. I wouldn't have met the girl that everyone's so scared of, the girl that helped me get away from Joseph. The girl that makes me blush constantly and I don't know why.