53

My chest rises up and down at a rapid pace as I hold my breath, trying to to make a sound.

My back is pressed flat up against the cold wall, my gun in my hand and ready as I tap the pad of my fingers against my assassin wear, waiting for my target to make a move first.

I stay in my exact position for approximately thirty or more seconds before I start to hear light footsteps on the concrete. I tighten my hold around my gun as I start to hear their breathing.

They're coming closer.

You can tell my the sound of their steps that they are trying to be quiet, and it would probably work on anyone else.

But not me.

I was trained to listen for this type of stuff during times like this. It takes a lot for you to catch me by surprise.

As fast as the blink of an eye, I hastily step out of my position, taking my opponent by surprise when I take on all my strength and push them to the opposite wall, making them hit the cold wall with a thud and a grunt mixed with a hiss passing their lips.

My legs are keeping them in place as my right arm is pressing into their neck harshly.

I lean my head up, whispering in their ear, "Dead, just like that," with a snap on my fingers.

His deep laugh echoes. "But I'm not."

I press harder. He swallows audibly, though a smile plays on his lips. "But you could've been," I tell Elliot as I step away from him.

He releases a breath and bends down to collect his gun that'd fallen from his grasp at my sudden moves. When he stands to his full height, his face is partially serious.

"Why are we doing this, anyways?"

"Because."

I turn to leave and hear Elliot following after me.

The weeks have been going by fast. All of us going to the ball have been working our asses off day and night, barely receiving a break.

And though Elliot may not be going, he still has things to learn.

I hear him sigh. "That's not a good reason, Aurelia," he says, laughing a little.

I stare at him completely serious. "Elliot, even though you won't be on the field, you still need to learn some things just in case. This shit is serious."

Over the past couple of days, we've all come to an agreement that there will be a good amount of people in a van nearby during the masquerade, whilst Elliot will be being monitored closely at the safe house. Also, dad and Diego will be in there too, making sure everything goes according to plan.

The smile on his face slowly vanishes when he sees my face. "Yeah, yeah," he says, taking a hand through his ruffled hair. "Okay, right. Sorry, baby."

My heart flutters and my stomach does flips.

I still haven't gotten used to the nickname, and it's doing so many things to me at once.

I stuck my gun in the back of my waistband and continue walking. "You need to stay on your guard at all times, Elliot. And work on your footsteps, I heard them a mile away."

It is always important that you catch your target off guard, which is why walking barely audible is best.

He mutters a response as I turn and enter the kitchen, heading towards the fridge to get a water bottle. I ask Elliot if he wants one, and he nods. I toss one his way.

I take a large swig of the cold water and lean my head down on the cold counter. After a beat, Elliot speaks up, interrupting the tense silence.

"How do you feel?" he asks. "About the ball, I mean."