53; Of Age

"But it's a choice, right?" I asked.

They all exchanged frowned looks. I felt like a small child who was in trouble.

Remus, Tonks, Mr and Mrs. Weasley were all sitting opposite from me at the dinner table.

"Erm...not really," Remus said.

"And why not? If I don't feel comfortable with speaking to him, I shouldn't have to!" I protested.

"They'll force you to either way, Echo. It's either the easy or hard way." He said.

"I'll report abuse on them!"

"They're the Ministry, Echo."

"I don't care!"

Remus sighed heavily, his face buried in his hands. Tonks patted his back.

I crossed my arms and glared at them all. "Echo -"

"They'll make me cry and I'll just embarrass myself!" My voice started to crack.

"You dont have to talk about him, Echo. They just want to settle you in somewhere. They're trying to sort things out of the way."

"I'm already settled in somewhere! I'm settled in here!" Tears fell down my face.

"But not officially. If you go talk to them, they could make it official." Remus tried his best to seduce me.

"Why would I want to talk to people who accused him of being a mass murder?!"

He went silent.

There were minutes of thick silence before he sighed. "You don't have a choice, Echo. They're making you." He said calmly.

"What am I? A house-elf?!"

"Dont speak like that, Echo!" Tonks said, glaring at me. "But it sure does feel like I have no rights!" I said.

"You're underaged, the Ministry isn't letting you make decisions for yourself just yet." Remus said.

"I'm betting my life I'm far more mature than them!"

"Echo, please just agree. It'll only be a few hours, and before you know it, you'll be done." Mrs. Weasley said.

It was my turn to go quite. "I'll be with you at all times." Remus said softly to me.

"I wanna see you leave me just like how dad did." I didn't say it. But I would have.

"Please?" He looked desperate. I suddenly started to feel bad.

He just wanted what was right for me. They all did.

I looked at the floor and nodded once.

-

"You look lovely." Mrs. Weasley was telling me as she straightened my dress. "Thanks," I mumbled.

"You'll be leaving in ten minutes," she said before leaving the room.

I stared at myself in the mirror. I flattened my hair. I picked at my nails.

The door opened.

"Hi," Harry walked in and closed the door behind him. "Hi." I responded.

"You look great." He said and laid on Ginny's bed. "That's Ginny's." I told him.

"Oh." He switched to mine. I sighed. "And thanks." I looked back at my reflection.

"For what?" He asked me. "For the compliment." I said. "What?"

"You told me I looked great."

"Oh. Right."