Chapter Thirty-Four: A Memorable Christmas Day

~Louisa POV~
I couldn't believe that Rose did that, after the whole talk about us being grown, she literally tried to kill me.

"Are you okay?" Nathan asked and I didn't answer. He was flirting with her the entire night when I dropped from my chair, he took 5 seconds before coming to my side where as Atticus was there in mere seconds pushing him off.

From what I could have seen Atticus looked as if he'd seen a ghost, as if the blood had stopped rushing through his veins.

"Louisa."

"Yes-sweet boyfriend who would have left me to die."

"I had to see what was happening."

"So basically wait until I had died to know something was wrong?" I said rudely and he pressed his lips together and I had to calm myself down.

"I'm sorry." I said turning to walk away and he pulled me back, hugging me.

"I may not have looked it but I was scared when you fell like that without reason, I-I didn't know what to do." He said worriedly and I just hugged him tightly.

"I'm okay."

"I'll make it up I promise but there's something I have to tell you." He said and I pulled back to give him a concerned look.

"I'm quitting."

"What?"

"I got a different job offer and I think it'll be better for us."

"We never had problems in the workplace."

"I know but maybe it will be better for our relationship." He said and I smiled that he was so sweet about it.

"Alright in that case, congratulations!" I told him capturing his lips in a kiss.

"I have to head to speak with the boss early tomorrow morning so I'm taking an early sleep." He said kissing my forehead and going to the bedroom.

I went to the refrigerator to get a bottle of water and the second I closed it my phone rang.

"Louisa."

"Atticus it's late and I don't want to talk."

"Okay then listen." He said and I pressed my lips together and stayed quiet.

"I-I saw the way you called out to Nathan when you were in need of help and comfort and he seems like a really good guy for you."

"Atticus."-

"Please listen." He said before taking a deep breath in. "I want nothing but the best for you, and like your letter said when you left us, I care for you. I care for you deeply Louisa and if being with Nathan makes you happy then it makes me happy." He said and I smiled at how sweet he was being.

"We can be friends-that way you can check in on Alister and everything can be good, I will respect your relationship like you respect mine." He said and although I'm the one that instigated the statement, I still felt something tug at my heart.

"That means a lot to me, thank you Atticus."

"With that being said-have a good night Lou." He said.

"Goodnight Atticus." I said and he ended the call.
I went to lay beside Nathan, his sleeping face was so peaceful. I give his lips a peck and his eyes flutter open. He kissed my forehead before pulling me into his arms.
I went to bed that night, thinking about Atticus.

...

I woke up the next morning and Nathan was on the other side of the bed, he's always moving in his sleep. I turned to look on my nightstand and saw the twenty fifth.
It's Christmas? It's Christmas!