Chapter Forty-Four: I DO

~Louisa POV~
It was my wedding day. Was I excited? I was, very much so. I've dreamt about this day ever since I was a little girl. I'd run around in my mother's veil and my papa always bought me flowers to make me feel more like a bride.

He even went to the point where he asked for my hand in marriage and I was so excited. I had a little wedding and here I was, about to get married in a real one and move back to Cuba.

"How are you feeling?" Malia asked coming into my room.

"Anxious, it's my wedding day, how else would I feel?" I said smiling softly at her before staring at myself in the mirror.

"You're going to look amazing in that dress and with the makeup I'm going to be putting on your face, a true princess." She said tapping my nose, making me chuckle a bit.

"Have you spoken to Atticus?" She asked and my smiled faltered.

"He made it clear that he's not attending the wedding, there's nothing more I can do."

"You know what I'm talking about."

"Quite frankly, I don't want to dive in to what you're talking about Mali, I'm getting married to Nathan, Nathan is going to be my husband and I will love him." I said staring at myself blandly in the mirror. It's as if I was trying to convince myself, but I didn't need convincing, did I?

You may wonder, where did the love for Atticus go? I cannot answer merely because I don't know, but the moment he told me he loved me everything felt so real, in the moment and it felt as if the love was gone.

I've handled much worse pain and I'm sure he has as well, he's lost his wife. I heard my mother's voice and I snapped out of my thinking process.

"My little girl is getting married!" She said squishing my face.

"I'm not that little mama." I said through her hands.

"Soon you'll be giving me babies!" She exclaimed and my eyes widened.

"One step at a time." I said chuckling nervously.
I was not ready to have another child.

"You're all grown up." Mama said and I turned to see the tears forming in her eyes, Oh my God!

"No, don't do that, you're going to make me cry. Stop doing that with your face." I said, feeling the tears well up in my eyes.

"I have to cry, it seems like only the other day you were running around with your little vagina outside."

"Mother!" I exclaimed and Malia laughed lawlessly.

"You were so small having your little wedding with papa and now you're having a big wedding, only difference the people are real and not the chickens from the farm." She said chuckling make me laugh and letting the tear finally fall.

"I'm so proud of you Mija." She said kissing my cheek before hugging me.

"I love you mommy." I said crying like a child.

"This family cries a lot." Malia said and I flipped her the finger before getting it swat away by my mother.

"Mama!"

"I'm still going to discipline you." She pointed warningly.

"Work your magic on my second favourite daughter." She told Malia and she smiled at her comment.

"I am your only daughter."

"Stop embarrassing yourself." Malia said flipping her hair.

"I need you to listen to me carefully." She said pulling my face close to hers.