5 In shock

I looked into the deeply shocked face of Damian as what I had just said began to sink in. His mouth was hanging open and he looked at me as if I had three heads. For a few minutes it was dead silent in the small room. Although I wanted to say something, I thought it would probably be better to give Damian time to process what I had said.

"You... But we... and the... Are you sure?" he stuttered after a while.

"Yes, I'm sure," I replied softly.

"But, I mean we were using protection and it was just the one time." he whispered without looking at me as he ran his hands through his hair.

"Yeah well, the one time was clearly enough. And condoms aren't 100% safe." I said calmly. Although I made a calm impression on the outside, it was deceiving. Emotions were boiling inside me. Everything inside me was mixed up.

"Don't take this the wrong way, but... are you sure it's mine?" he wanted to know.

I had expected this question and it was completely understandable that he asked this, but still it hurt. A lot.

"Do you really think I would have told you I was pregnant if I wasn't sure it was yours? Yes, I am sure. There was no one else. I realize it's a shock. I'm shocked, too. I just had a little more time to process it," I replied as I crossed my arms over my chest. I took a deep breath to hold back the tears.

"I don't know what to say. I need time to let this sink in, I guess." he murmured softly.

"I understand that. Very well, in fact. I don't expect you to be happy about it, Damian. It wasn't planned, but that doesn't change the situation I'm in. I don't expect anything from you. You don't have to be a part of it if you don't want to be," I said.

"That's... wow... that's a lot. What do we do now?" he asked.

"What do you think we're going to do? We're having a baby. Well, I'm having a baby. Think about what you want to do, Damian. But like it or not, we're connected now. Unexpected, but still." I said softly and then gently put a hand on my stomach.

"I can't make a decision now, Y/N. This is too much." he said as he walked to the door.

"I know that. And you don't have to be involved in it. Just live your life. We'll be fine without you too. But I'm going to give my baby everything he needs. With or without your help. Because I love him already." I uttered.

"Him? It's a boy?" he asked when he finally looked at me. 

"Well, I don't know yet. It's just a feeling. And I had a dream. It doesn't matter, though. I'll give you time. Just let me know what you decide." I replied softly as I tried not to start crying.

This was all new to me too, but the moment I held the positive test in my hand, it was clear to me that this little something that was growing inside me was more important than anything else. I would make it work. Even though I hoped that my baby would have a father in his life, at that moment I was anything but sure how Damian would decide.