26 Relaxation

"You know what? I've changed my mind. I can't do this." I said as I put the things I was holding back on the countertop.

"What, why not? It was your idea, wasn't it?" retorted Damian, holding Mateo on his lap.

"I know, and I really thought I could, but.... maybe it's too early." I said, playing with the hem on my sleeve.

"Come on, Mami. Don't be like that. It's not the end of the world. It's barely a haircut. Just a little trimming to make it a little more even." he argued as the little man played with his rattle.

"You're right. And I know it won't hurt him, but it's my baby." I whined.

"A baby that can barely look out of his eyes. Should we rather go to Kevin to have him do it?" Damian wanted to know.

"No! No way. If anyone is going to cut Mateo's hair, it's going to be me," I replied outraged, and then sighed deeply.

I knew I had to do this now. Damian was right. Mateo's hair was really a bit uneven and much longer in the front. It just broke my heart to have to cut his perfect little waves.

"All right. I'll do it. Hold him steady. I better hurry before he gets impatient." I then said with determination and picked up the scissors and comb again.

Mateo looked at me with his big, brown doe eyes and I almost chickened out again. He looked so incredibly cute. My little prince.

With quick snips and practiced movements, I brought all his hair to the same length while Mateo didn't let himself be fazed one bit and just babbled away. He was quite calm. At that moment I was really happy about it and hoped that the new baby would be just like its big brother.

"Okay. That's it. Will you please turn him around so I can look at him?" I asked Damian and immediately he did what I asked.

Even though it was almost impossible, but somehow our son looked even cuter. The little heartbreaker. He smiled at me as if nothing had happened.

"Look at you, monkey. You look so handsome." I cooed as I took him into my arms.

"See? That wasn't so bad after all. I'll prepare his bath and vacuum the hair away. You can undress him in the meantime." Damian replied and gave me a quick kiss.

A few minutes later we both sat next to the tub and watched Mateo happily splashing the water. He giggled and laughed the whole time. Those were moments I would never forget. The sound of his laughter was delightful and as pure as anything in this world. I looked at Damian and saw how content and relaxed he looked. 

When the little man was squeaky clean, I dried him off and then put him in his pajamas. He yawned when I put him in his crib afterwards. It didn't take long for him to fall asleep. A sweet smile was still on his lips.

"Do you want to maybe take a bath too?" asked Damian as I joined him on the couch.

"I'd love to, actually. But only if you come with me," I replied with a smirk.

"Oh nothing I'd rather do, princesa." he said with a wink.

Together we made our way to the bathroom and I turned on the water. When I was satisfied with the temperature, I added bubble bath.

"Go in first, D. I need your help, because I don't want to slip," I said to him.

With a nod, he climbed into the filled tub and then held out his hand for me. I carefully climbed into the water with him. Damian sat down and then helped me slide into the water as well.

I sighed in relaxation as I leaned my back against Damian's chest. Then I reached for his hand and gently placed it on my baby bump. His fingers made little circular motions where he could feel the baby's movements. God, I could spend the whole day like this if I had my way.

"How are you?" he asked me softly. His voice was low and right next to my ear.

"Mmmh... I'm fine. How about you? Excited about the wedding?" I replied.

"I'm fine, too. And I'm really looking forward to the wedding. I'm just a little disappointed that you can't come with me to New York. I would have loved to have you guys there." he said, kissing the side of my head.

"That's how I feel, too. But I promise you that we will be there next time. Right now it's just a bit much." I promised him while putting my hand on his.

"I know and my family's well being is more important. How is Vegas doing today? We have a very active baby here." he wanted to know.

"Tell me about it! Vegas is already pretty strong, judging by the kicks. Just as Mateo was. Speaking of him... How's your back after holding his hands all day to practice walking?" I asked, turning my head to the side to look at him.

"It's fine. I just hope he doesn't take his first steps on his own without me." he replied and kissed my shoulder.

"Oh Papi, I'm sure this will take a little while. Be patient. I think he will wait for you. He probably senses how much you want to be there and will wait for you. He's so much like you," I said, smiling.

"You think? Well, I hope Vegas will take after you. Just as beautiful and strong." he replied.

"We'll see. Luckily, it's still a few months away. It makes me nervous already though." I confessed.

"Remember that I'm always here for you guys. We'll figure it out. And if we need help, we'll get help. There's nothing wrong with that." said Damian.

"I know. And I know that I can count on you, that we can count on you," I replied, feeling how true my words were.